Making Extended Tool Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I want to make an extra long tool rest for my old Craftsman lathe for doing spindle type work. If anyone has any ideas let me know . I have some in mind but am always open to any help . Thanks !

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am considering the same thing. One thing I have decided is it will not be single post, or at least not a single small round post. If you commit up front to using it only for spindles, you can use materials that are simpler to work with. Here is an over simplified version (I would not use standard construction lumber; but it is easy to use for description) - a 2x4 on edge with the top edge cut with a 45 degree miter on either side to meet at a 90 degree point which is covered with a piece of angle iron. Near each end (leaving a little room for headstock and tailstock), it sits on a short piece of 2x4 laid flat across the bed with a slot cut for the wing nuts that tighten to hold it in place. I am not sure I will bother with a height adjustment; I do most of my spindle work right around center. I might go with a single adjustment, dropping it a tiny bit lower and keeping a second 1/4" angle iron piece handy to raise it.

jimwill48

James
If you have or know someone who has a welder its simple. Take round bar stock and fabricate all the tool rests you need for just the cost of the steel.

James

CarvedTones

Andy
James,

Mike and I have had some conversations outside the forum and I just noticed there is one bit of info left out that might impact the choice of materials. "extra long" means > 18" in this case, maybe even 24". With a tool post arrangement, there is an awful lot of leverage out at the ends. I would not be concerned about breakage (it is a concern, but these are spindles of around 1") as much as twist to get slightly out of alignment. If you are trying to make consistent diameter tubes, staying aligned is important as you can slide a tool along without letting it slip through your fingers or use a mark on a tenon cutter.

jimwill48

James
Your correct. If I'm not correct that lathe uses a 5/8" tool post which is pretty small and at 18 to 24" you will get defection of the tool bar under load. If possible what I would do is see if I could come up with another banjo and use 2 toolposts and then the tool rest in a H configuration. Of couse finding another banjo would be an issue. The other thing you could do is since you will be turning at center line is to have fab'ed a tool post that is as long as possible and then have two down bars that would rest on the bed. One at each end and then the center in a E shape. Using at least 1" Round CR round Bar stock for the tool rest. The other issue you will have when turning long skinny spindles is work piece deflection. I don't think a Cenet rest would work, but maybe it would since I really don't know what your turning. Even steel bar stock will deflect in a metal lathe with to much pressure but thats what I use a follower rest for.

James

CarvedTones

Andy
James,

You don't know what we are turning? Long wooden tubes and I have "Tones" in my handle and Mike's, well, that's a dead give away. :rolf:

Your point about blank deflection really makes me think about dual supports near the ends because I need room for my steady in the middle. It has a little more of a footprint than you might expect because I built it to be the terminating center for a chucked tube:
spindel_steady.JPG

My fancy pencil sharpener. :) The bearings can face the other way in use, but it is more photogenic this way.

I did not even think about making sure I come up with a design that allows that steady in the middle. Hmmm...

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Believe it or not it is very easy to fabricate a banjo, and can be made from wood or I did one from DOM tubing and steel plate. you can even fab the toolrest from hollow square tubing and drill and screw it to the wooden banjos. Like this with a wooden banjo.

http://turningaround.org/ToolRest.htm

24inToolRest.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'll vote for two separate tool rests and banjos. Although I've got the long factory tool rests, I find moving two banjos a bit awkward and there's the obvious problem with the steady in the center to work around. Turn a pommel on each end, then detail the center as prescribed requires some movement inward of the tool rest during the process and sometimes a long tool rest just gets in the way or inhibits quick adjustment of the banjo location. The long tool rests do have their place and I'd never get rid of mine, but I just don't use them often for things like balusters.

CarvedTones

Andy
Bob,

Thanks for posting that. Sometimes solutions are just far too obvious. :eusa_doh: :rolf:
The single long rest has its appeal, but with the steady in there, it's not like I could take full length cuts. Hmmm...

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Thanks everybody ! A lot of good ideas there and I know I can come with something good from all the info ...........Thanks, Mike

timf67

New User
Tim
I'll try to post a picture of my "homemade" extra-long tool rest. It is basically a 24' long piece of 1/2" angle with holes that are matched up to two drilled and tapped holes in my factory 12" tool rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS