Making a round base for table - many questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Re: Making a round base for table - many questions. Paint?

Ok. I'm going to the extreme other end of your design ideas and I understand that you folks are on a budget. By the time you spend all of that piddling and fussing with that cardboard crap you'll be further in debt.

1. Trash that $6 cardboard cylinder junk that won't work from square one for a 54" diameter top.

2. Consider these metal hairpin legs and fasten them in a 24" diameter circular pattern to your new 54" diameter wood table top.

https://www.amazon.com/Hairpin-Meta...srs=14698790011&ie=UTF8&qid=1468341493&sr=8-2

They bastardize your original design but it's little lighter looking, open, and airy. The legs look spindly (1/2"d)

DIYAnnette.jpg

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Re: Making a round base for table - many questions. Paint?

Baltic birch plywood is 60" X 60". It would yield a circle a tiny bit less than 60" Somewhere in my stash of useless knowledge, I have VCR tape of NYW when he made gate leg table, using plywood and solid wood edging.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
The top can be made of baltic birch plywood since is is usually 60x60 inches square. Then use same veneer on the base. Cutting a circle using a trammel attached to a router would do the job.

DIYAnnette

New User
Annette
Thank you Gritz, great idea.

Jeff - I do like the pin leg look, but I still want to try this 'wood base' project first. I wanted to fit 6 chairs around without a leg in the way.Thanks for suggesting. I need to do it cheap but because it's a big challenge, but I'm kind of excited to figure the big base out!

Junquecol - yes, glad to hear about the plywood - That sounds like I could do the top myself now.

Warren -yes, I like this birch plywood... I can work with that and try my veneering/laminate skills!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors