Making a CUBE segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Today I proved to be an invaluable help to Charlie in making one of these. It usually takes him 20 minutes to build one, but with my help we had this one completed in just over 2 hours!

There are 9 separate pieces in this 2X3 blank. From this, one ring segment can be cut out.
I think he does good work in spite of my efforts to help :rotflm:
Shown here are both sides.
Spot the error I caused, if you can.

Cube_segment_back.JPG

View image in gallery

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Joe, I enjoyed your help today, but next time get further away when taking the photos so the errors don't show so well.:rotflm:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
How thick is the block? Do you build one block and then re-saw it into several pieces that are part of a bowl? :icon_scra

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
How thick is the block? Do you build one block and then re-saw it into several pieces that are part of a bowl? :icon_scra

Mike, this block is 3/4" thick. The block is ripped to a segment width and the ends are bevel cut to fit into a ring glue-up. The bevel angle depends upon the number of segments desired in the ring.

Charlie and Earl are far more qualified to talk on this process and maybe they'll join in for more depth. As for me, I was just fascinated with the process!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So, if you had 12 of those in a bowl each one has to be built up - one at a time. At 20 minutes each?

Or in your case 2 hours each?

Probably take me a day each and that is why i don't do segments... :rotflm:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Mike, below are a couple of photos of my latest turning. The main feature ring consists of 16 segments with 3 cubes per segment. Each segment contains 18 pieces. The completed feature ring, including the 4 walnut and maple rings above and below it contains 368 pieces. The ring is 16 1/2" dia. x 3" high and required 40-50 hours for completion. The other two "cube" rings were much easier, about 40 hours to complete both. The completed vase required 140-150 hours and consists of 1345 pieces. Time required when you are retired means nothing:gar-La;​

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't think anybody would pay me $6000 to make one of those. Unfortunately my time is still attached to a bank account. Even my "free" time costs me $$.

You've heard of people who make money in their sleep? I spend money in my sleep. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS