Making 1/4" edge banding

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Today I made a bunch of 1/4" edge banding for a project. I have never done this before so I thought I would ask how others would do it.

Here was my process:
1) Ripped ~8" rough lumber to ~4" so it would fit in my jointer
2) jointed one face and edge
3) planed to thickness + a hair
4) setup a fence on my bandsaw at ~5/16"
5) ripped stock on the bandsaw
6) jointed the ripped edge
7) goto 5 until I had enough thin stock
8 ) ganged the strips in sets of 3 and ran them through the planer to bring them down to 1/4.

I could have just ripped on the tablesaw but I don't have a very repeatable way to hit 1/4" so I would have ended up going through the planer in the end anyway. And I am much more comfortable ripping on the bandsaw.

Any comments?
Thanks!
Salem

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Salem.

I generally plane my rough stock down to 3/4" (edge to be covered - thickness) and then just rip them on the tablesaw using this jig. (Joe Scharle, here at NCWW came up with the neat design.) Here are a couple of pictures of the jig...

With this jig, you just set the width (1/4") - distance between the blade and jig fence and using the sliding pushblock, rip the length. Check the thickness of the ripped piece and adjust as necessary. Once set, you can rip as many as you need and they will all be of consistent thickness. Works great!:wsmile::thumbs_up

Wayne

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Set the fence on the table saw and rip then.
I'll rip 1/4, 1/8 or 3/16
With the right push block its no more dangerous then ripping any other size
A walk in the park
The push block pushes them all the way through and keeps your hand clear.
Of course the blade cuts into the push block some thats why its so thick.

pushblock.jpg

pushblock2.jpg

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for the alternatives. And Wayne that is a beautiful jig :). Those must be magnets embedded in the "track"? I may have to build a ghetto version of it!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS