Makers Mark

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
PBS show "Antique Roadshow" frequently says that authentication of makers identification will increase value, often doubling it given identity of maker.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I stamp my name and the year of completion in a hidden location on every piece I build. I don't do it to brag but rather for future generations to know who built it, since almost all of my pieces are for family.

This. pretty much anything of any consequence that I build, or have built is for family/ friends, and has my signature and date hidden somewhere, (underside of a table or benchtop for example) for posterity. Nothing too fancy - most often just a simple sharpie signature on bare wood, before finishing, so that it get's "locked in". Often times the piece is "payed for" w/ a bottle of Basil Hayden, (personal favorite), though Maker's would certainly work as well to keep this thread relevant, ha.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
This. pretty much anything of any consequence that I build, or have built is for family/ friends, and has my signature and date hidden somewhere, (underside of a table or benchtop for example) for posterity. Nothing too fancy - most often just a simple sharpie signature on bare wood, before finishing, so that it get's "locked in". Often times the piece is "payed for" w/ a bottle of Basil Hayden, (personal favorite), though Maker's would certainly work as well to keep this thread relevant, ha.

Does a finish over sharpie hold up over time?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I like Oka's & Chris comment. I guess the only problem with Chris idea is DANG IT! I'm going to have to find several other folks brand for most of what I make. LOL

Pop :cool:

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a stamp on my work as well. I think it is important for someone down the road to know the item is handmade by an actual person!

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Does a finish over sharpie hold up over time?
So far so good! The "oldest" piece of mine is a crib I made just before my first son was born, (he'll be 11 in June, so lets say 12 years). Cherry w/ Waterlox for finish, and the black sharpie sig on the back of one of the legs is still visible.

Richo B

New User
Richo
On important pieces I put my name and date (month and year). On less important items (jigs and help tools) I only put the date and year. For those lesser things its just to remind me of when I made them. Starting with the Apothecary puzzle cabinet I also started adding the city I built it in, in case I move again and would like to document that something was made in New Bern as opposed to another future location. I think adding your mark or signature is very important as it helps people in the future know who did it.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Just to add to the approvals. What if Lexus donated a car for the charity. They would certainly have the Lexus mark on the car. Why shouldn't you?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS