Makers... Makers??

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So I just got hooked on the Adam Savage "Tested" You Tube Channel and he had a guest on Laura Kampf, so on Adam's recommendation he suggested "Take a look at her channel"

I did and she had a video "Making a perfect table top" I thought well, that is curious, is this going to be another video of how you chuck a bit in a keyless chuck?!

NOPE! A VERY creative way of assembling a table top - you might like, you might not - what I like is the creativity!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I have seen this technique before. My biggest critique would be there seem to be some pretty obvious glue lines (poor fitment), e.g. see 6:32+ in the video.

The bandsaw does not normally produce a a nice clean cut, and it shows here. The 'wavy' pattern she adds makes it pretty much impossible to clean up the edges after.

A better fit if you use say a router to cut the each edge of the adjacent board simultaneously.

-Mark

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I remember watching some of her videos a couple of years ago and in most of her projects - she usually left what we would call 'imperfections' in most of her wooden items. Whether one sees a glue line or not is not the important point she stresses about - she looks for alternate methods. In this particular video, listen to her comments from about 8:20 through 8:42 - she is always looking for that organic appeal.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have seen this technique before. My biggest critique would be there seem to be some pretty obvious glue lines (poor fitment), e.g. see 6:32+ in the video.

The bandsaw does not normally produce a a nice clean cut, and it shows here. The 'wavy' pattern she adds makes it pretty much impossible to clean up the edges after.

A better fit if you use say a router to cut the each edge of the adjacent board simultaneously.

-Mark
Mark, I agree - but what I think is interesting the the alternative method as Raymond points out. so with knowledge and experience and the introduction of an alternate method, you ahve already cmoe up with a solution to a potential pitfall that we would not be happy with in our work! I saw the same thing and thought I would scrape or spoke shave that edge to see if I could get a better fit... I was just thinking about the abstract cutting boards, how do they get a good fit on the strips and pieces they glue together, maybe that is a method?

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I saw a guy doing cutting boards like this and they were good from a distance, but not so good up close. I've used the router method a few times and ended up happy with the CNC cut. I don't think my by hand and eye method on a bandsaw would ever be good enough to satisfy my taste, and when I do have something that has less than perfect fit, most of my customers fuss, they don't like 'the makers hand' explanation on how there are imperfections to hand made items.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have done this in the past. It is highly dependent on the accuracy and quality of the bandsaw. That saw she was using used today is still 3-4k it is a great saw industrial quality. I know from resawing wood how hard it is to keep a blade accurate enough to make matched saw joint by cutting through. The micro chatter in the blade is the issue. Not sure my 2 hp Jet BS could step up to this level of accuracy. But it is a very creative way to join wood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS