Maker Faire North Carolina; Free; This Sunday (4/25) in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I thought I'd pass this along, since there is at least one major woodworking exhibit AND it's free!!

Maker Faire is a free exhibition of people in the "maker" community-- generally regarded as people who repurpose various materials, building something new or improving on something that already exists. It leans heavily toward tech-geek, but any woodworker who finds that wood gears guy's work intriguing should like this.

Maker Faire:NC will be held at Loehmann's Plaza, 1821 Hillandale Rd, Durham, NC 27705.

All the details are available on their website: http://makerfairenc.com/

ShopBot, a major CNC router manufacturer, will be demoing at least one of its products (Tyro).

TechShopRDU will be there... and some of the guys from TSRDU will be exhibiting their "MakerBot"-- a "3D printer" that can make plastic parts... a primary goal of the original MakerBot projects was to have a MakerBot create the necessary parts to make more MakerBots (artifical reproduction.. an offshoot of the artifical intelligence movement in computing). Pretty amazing stuff these guys are doing.

Here's a link to their exhibitors: http://makerfairenc.com/exhibitors-master-list/

EDIT 4/21, 4:42p: I've also learned that TechShop will be offering $39 Membership Tickets good for one month membership and two free classes. I took advantage of this same offer in January. Normally, one month's use of TechShop is $99... and you need to pay for individual safety/user classes before using most of the tools/shops (about $30/hour of class time).

AND-- check this out:

"
We will take names and email addresses from people who want to join our mailing list for a chance to win a one year membership to TechShop. They will enter their information on a computer and we will notify the winner by email."

That's a $999 value!!

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Wow, that's just near me... drive past there every morning and afternoon.... perhaps I should go.....

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Thanks for posting that - my kids are LEGO maniacs and there is at least one display of that, some other interesting arts and crafts and oh - what's this? An SCA blacksmith is going to demonstrate making a mini forge? Yeah, I am all over that. If the weather is good, I will likely be there. Maybe we can meet up for lunch.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I can possibly do lunch. There's a great Mexican place in the plaza though I'm sure it will be swamped...

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
(I added an edit to my main post re: discount memberships to TechShop being made available AND a chance to win a one year membership!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS