magports

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Saw these in Fine Woodworking. Last time I checked they were out of stock but looks like they solved that problem. These fall into the I wish I thought of it first. lol

Still debating on whether to upgrade since the attachments I have now work pretty good. It's not a cheap upgrade but I just really like the concept.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Pretty cool concept. I have to remove/ reattach my dust collector hose every time I change my jointer to planer and vice versa. I 3D printed a tapered fitting that works OK, but it wouldn't be too difficult to make something like this with magnets, and it'll probably preserve the paint on the dust port in the long run.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
That is a cool concept! I will definetly try to make some ( 3-D printed, machined from Al or some plastic).
Thx for sharing the info... I used to subscribe to FW, but quit some years ago as there was nothing really novel or new. Maybe it is time to re-subscribe.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm thinking you could do something with a PVC toilet flange as a base......
Perhaps one could modify them to imitate the Storz type connectors on fire hoses.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I wonder how much fine dust escapes at the connection, probably would only see that with a sander. I watched the video of the guy making them. He needs a CNC!

I just use PVC fittings. I put a piece of 3" pipe into the end of my flexible hoses and then just have a mating PVC flange at each of my machines. This makes a friction fit that holds really well.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
It's worth noting that there are 3D models of magnetic dust collector hose connectors available on thingiverse.com. They're designed to accept 3/8" disc magnets. Here's one example, which appears to be the most developed model available: Magnetic Dust Collector Adapter. I printed a few yesterday and will update once I pick them up and give them a try.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
It's worth noting that there are 3D models of magnetic dust collector hose connectors available on thingiverse.com. They're designed to accept 3/8" disc magnets. Here's one example, which appears to be the most developed model available: Magnetic Dust Collector Adapter. I printed a few yesterday and will update once I pick them up and give them a try.

Thanks, I'll be printing these shortly on my 3D printer. Where do you get the magnet's from, do the local BORGS carry or is this an Amazon type order?

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I think they're cheaper on Amazon, but you have to order a boat load to get the really good deals. They're available at both the orange store and the blue store, but the blue store seems to have a smaller selection and if I remember correctly, no rare earth magnets in this size. Orange store had boxes of 10 n52 disc magnets the last time I was looking at them.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Check out Klingspor's quick adapters. Male and female. One end screws into 4" flex hose, the other end is tapered so they interlock. The Female adapter fits over the 4" PVC slide gate. Air tight and no worry on alignment. About $7 each.
4" Quick Coupler WK42610

4" Dust Hose Quick Adapter / RH Thread
WK42570

I always use the KISS method when possible.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Check out Klingspor's quick adapters. Male and female. One end screws into 4" flex hose, the other end is tapered so they interlock. The Female adapter fits over the 4" PVC slide gate. Air tight and no worry on alignment. About $7 each.
4" Quick Coupler WK42610

4" Dust Hose Quick Adapter / RH Thread
WK42570

I always use the KISS method when possible.
I have some of those, too, that's what I use currently. They're definitely easy to use and seal well. I can 3D print for free at the 3D printing labs at work, so I figured why not try these out.

My DC hose situation really lends itself to quick and easy hose switching - I have one dedicated hose for the table saw and a separate loose 10' hose that gets attached to the other tools. I only use one port at a time on the DC, so being able to just pull the hose off for switching seems a little easier. We will see, since I haven't actually tried these out yet.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
So I got some of these printed and installed. All works as expected and the seal appears to be airtight. I used a thin piece of silicone rubber as a gasket on the connector attached to the dust collector.
IMG_20200131_141650.jpg
IMG_20200131_141701.jpg
IMG_20200131_141718.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_141726.jpg
    IMG_20200131_141726.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That came out great! I will need to design a custom fitting to fit the dust port on my jointer/ planer, but that's just a tapered cylinder.
Where did you get the gasket from?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
In my opinion, since you're 3D printing these, why not design a bit of a protruding tube that sticks inside the mating tube before the magnet edges come together. Wouldn't that help with leakage?

and what size magnets did you use??

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
That came out great! I will need to design a custom fitting to fit the dust port on my jointer/ planer, but that's just a tapered cylinder.
Where did you get the gasket from?
I bought a sheet of thin silicone rubber on Amazon and cut out the size I needed. A little more expensive than I wanted, but I had some left over after using it for another project.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
In my opinion, since you're 3D printing these, why not design a bit of a protruding tube that sticks inside the mating tube before the magnet edges come together. Wouldn't that help with leakage?

and what size magnets did you use??
I didn't modify the model, just downloaded and printed. I might change some things if I were to redesign it. However, with this design the pieces are interchangeable, so they can be mixed and matched if I need a longer hose or something.

The magnets are 3/8" diameter by 1/4" n52 neodymium magnets. I used four per piece, but I may add a few more at some point.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I was thinking of getting some of these but then Rockler put their floor sweep on sale for half off and I got that and some connectors for my router table, planner, and jointer. So now I move their handle to these tools, or the floor sweep. Not as elegant but it works fine.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Finally got around to finishing my version of this - too many projects in parallel.

I downloaded the file from Thingiverse, but decided to just design my own. It is much easier to change the size of the holes in the design to fit the magnets rather than trying to find magnets that fit the holes. I ordered the magnets from Amazon, 30 for $12, 10x5mm.

The adapter that fits over the tool dust port is tapered and just a friction fit.

The two parts line up really well, not sure if I need to install a gasket between them, but I haven't actually done any serious amount of jointing/ planing to test it.

Here it is when converted over to planer mode:

To be honest, it is not that much better than what I had before. I used a 4" piece of thin wall S&D pipe, attached the hose to it with a clamp, and the pipe slid over the tool dust port with a friction fit. Cutting the piece of pipe took about 2 min. Creating the 3D model, printing it, ordering and installing the magnets - days :) But this is much much cooler of course. Plus, it's good practice to design stuff, if you don't do it regularly you forget how the software works.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS