Magazine cover showing good or bad position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Ok, maybe it's just me, but when I found this magazine in one of the book stores a few weeks ago, I was rather surprised at what I saw on the cover. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/plans/index.cfm/plan_details/5/83/1934

Since I'm not a spinner of wood, I can't say for sure if this guy is perfectly safe or not :dontknow::dontknow: , but it doesn't look very smart to me. :icon_scra:icon_scra

Anyone else who thinks that 'straddling' a lathe like that is a 'good' idea? :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Rob

New User
Rob
Have done it, and probably will again. I don't see it as not being safe, probably safer then standing in front of something spinning 1000 rpms. And then poking sharp objects into it.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mike, old son, you're on the "right path!" :icon_thum

Stay away from that spinning stuff:nah: and stick with us "flat siders!" Table saws, band saws, routers, etc. are infinitely safer than those 1000 rpm "wood hurlers!"

Stick with us and the worst can happen is you lose a finger!! (Or part of one, or part of a part, or---)

:rotflm:

Stay safe!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I did that more than once every 5 years or so I would lower the lathe and make a seat for it.

Or at least add some stirrups. :rotflm:

I wonder if that is a pony lathe? :dontknow:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
While I can't imagine it's the best idea, I doubt it's highly unsafe since you are to the side of the bowl. I can't imagine it putting you in a "better" position for doing what he's doing though ... so why do it? All scrunched over and it looks uncomfortable. Plus, if you get a catch and the tool decides to jerk around, you are probably just going to have to take it, instead of being able to react & move out of the way.

Also, that is a horrible cover picture ... looks like a 12 year old with a new camera took it.

Last edited:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Straddling the lathe is not uncommon. The most dangerous place is directly in front of the lathe, not at the tail end, where he is sitting, especially when first turning the lathe on.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
been there done that not saying it was a good thing but...:embarrassed:
it worked at the time
Good eye to catch it. Hopefully a lot of us can continue/remember to 'watch ourselves' (and each other's backs) when in the shop

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Yeah, the only power tool I would comfortable straddling is going to have 2 wheels, handle bars, and get me to the office when it's not raining. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

woodnick

New User
Nick
I've seen Dave Marks do it to hollow out a vise. I agree it's safer then standing in front of the lathe.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Yeah, I don't really think that is terribly unsafe. Seems like it would be kind've uncomfortable though. I'm with Mike on making a seat for it. :rotflm:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I guess safety is a relative term :wink_smil. This is a commonly used technique for many "experts". I saw David Marks perform this maneuver on his show a while back. Since the "arc of death" for the lathe is generally considered the ~270 degree area directly in line with the workpiece, the area toward the tail stock is supposed to be a safe zone (at least for having things flung at you). :dontknow:

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . . Since the "arc or death" for the lathe is generally considered the ~270 degree area directly in line with the workpiece, the area toward the tail stock is supposed to be a safe zone (at least for having things flung at you). :dontknow:

Arc of death :swoon:
Another reason not to buy a lathe :gar-La;

Roger

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not know if this is an accepted practice or not but I would not be comfy perched where a catch could knock me off balance to the floor. :no:

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
The Ark of Death. You must need a really large lathe to turn a boat. I'm not riding in it with that name, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS