Made a Mallet

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Needed one so I made one. WoodCraft is the only woodworking store here and they like their prices much more than I do. In Hawaii the prices are not the same as mainland.... higher.

Anyway, at one of the Jobs they took down a Kiawe tree (pronounced Ke-aww-veh). It is a kind of Mesquite tree about 30-50% harder than Oak. The tractor ripped it out of the ground and one of the roots caught my eye, it was partially dead, so partially dry.

I cured for 9 months and made this, it is still 13.5% moisture, but ambient moisture here is 11.50-12.5%. So I figured good enough.

Well I kept a piece of a Wye fork for future turning (seen in the pix). The wood color goes from light grey-brown to reddish brown to red. The Handle is Rock Maple, turned after epoxying the joint and then just oiled. Works well with nice mass and inertia.

Kinda pretty too. Better than a 86 dollar beech mallet :oops:

Attachments

• Mallet (2).jpg
    Mallet (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 180
  • Mallet (3).jpg
    Mallet (3).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 173
  • Mallet (5).jpg
    Mallet (5).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 176
  • Mallet (6).jpg
    Mallet (6).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 169
  • Mallet (7).jpg
    Mallet (7).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 163
  • Mallet (8).jpg
    Mallet (8).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Oka, you need to talk Coleman into opening up a branch of Klingspors there. Maybe invite him out for a reconnaissance of possible sites after this stay in place is over.

Roy G

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Not a bad Idea. Besides coming out here to investigate definitely has it perks.

Oka, you need to talk Coleman into opening up a branch of Klingspors there. Maybe invite him out for a reconnaissance of possible sites after this stay in place is over.

Roy G

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
You have the benefit of some nice exotic woods over there Oka, I can remember turning Monkey Pod when I was stationed there on a destroyer' based in Pearl Harbor. Just a matter of gaining access to it. But even buying it there is quite a lot cheaper than buying it in the lower 48. I remember being there from 1963-1966, not too long after Hawaii became the 50th state, and occasionally making the comment about going back to the states; natives took great exception to that remark.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS