Made a custom tool rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks to Matt (aka Splint Eastwood) and his metalworking I was able to make a custom tool rest for my mini lathe. The mini is small enough already, I was kinda peeved to lose so much from the diameter of the workpiece because of the tool rest base. This one is a prototype made out of mdf and it seems to be working out well.

These are the raw materials I brought with me to Matt's place. Some angle iron, a few bolts, spacers, and nuts. I already had the angle iron or I might of gotten something a tad smaller. We used a metal chopsaw to cut it to length and chop the heads of the carriage bolts.

Tool_Rest_0031.jpg

View image in gallery

We experimented with a few ways to get both bolts lined up for welding.

The bolts are welded to the angle iron and then Matt took a grinder and polisher to it

All primed and ready for paint

Next stage is in my garage. This is a pic of my lathe mounted to my track table system. My rest is going to ride along the xtra t-track I had left over.

A pic of the inside of the rest. The bottom is where the rest locks into the t-track. The top is where I fine tune the rest. I can raise/lower it and move it in and out.

This is a blank I got from Andy (carvedtones) The tool rest is pushed in as close as possible. I don't have any bigger blanks to test out but because the tool rest can slide out and the rest can be backed out as well I think I will be able to start off with something utlizing the maximum diameter of the lathe.
toolrest_005.jpg

View image in gallery

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think your pivot point is too far back from the wood. I set my rest very close to the wood for better leverage in case of a catch and to make holding the tool easier. I might have turned the angle iron so it is flat on top and straight down on the back or even better use a 3/4 inch round bar for the rest.

I'd like to know how you like this after you've used it for several bowls and spindles.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Having turned only a few bowls we weren't quite sure how to angle it. Matt's rest had an angle to it so I think thats why we angled mine. Also, the way I turn, I don't adjust the rest very often so the pivot point starts off close to the wood then after abit I start to realize I am running out of tool so have adjust the tool rest in. :gar-La; I guess once I get more comfortable with the other stuff I am trying to do I'll be able to remember to move the tool rest in.

3/4 inch round bar seems like a good idea. I would also change the posts so I can use a jig knob to tighten it with. Kind of a pain to have to break out two wrenches.

I think your pivot point is too far back from the wood. I set my rest very close to the wood for better leverage in case of a catch and to make holding the tool easier. I might have turned the angle iron so it is flat on top and straight down on the back or even better use a 3/4 inch round bar for the rest.

I'd like to know how you like this after you've used it for several bowls and spindles.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Some cool ideas there, Steve!!!:icon_thum:cool:

Homemade and custom is always good. Looking forward to seeing some nice looking bowls cranking out.

(I haven't done anything but pens and small weed pots on mine.:wwink::embarrassed: But, I'll get there with a little bit of nerve!)

Always to design and build your own jigs. Sounds like Matt is the goto NCWW for welding too!:icon_cheers

Wayne

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Steve,
I agree with Mike completely.You are too far out from the closest edge of your turning.There is room for something/anything to drop down in that space and make things far more complicated than they need be.First off,I would use thicker angle and sit it on one of it's flats with the adjoining flat against the blank. Take the edge that your tool rides on and radius the tp edge so your tool slides easily and does not dig in. If you turn with your tool support out away from your blank you better start wearing a helmut up side down or your gonna have a turning tool lisp!
Greg

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member

Steve,
figured I'd post some pix of the tool post that I make.They are made from 4" schedule 80 steel pipe, with 1/4" a-2 drill rod for the top surface.You coul use 2" or 3" pipe since you have a mini lathe.They are a little difficult to make if oyu do not have access to a side grinder with a cutoff disc or a metal cutting bandsaw with at least 6+" of cutting capacity.I braised my drill rod but epoxy will work just as well.Let me know if you have any questions that I can help with.
Greg

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Having turned only a few bowls we weren't quite sure how to angle it. Matt's rest had an angle to it so I think thats why we angled mine. Also, the way I turn, I don't adjust the rest very often so the pivot point starts off close to the wood then after abit I start to realize I am running out of tool so have adjust the tool rest in. :gar-La; I guess once I get more comfortable with the other stuff I am trying to do I'll be able to remember to move the tool rest in.

3/4 inch round bar seems like a good idea. I would also change the posts so I can use a jig knob to tighten it with. Kind of a pain to have to break out two wrenches.

Steve:

Lemme know, if you decide to try another version: I can assist with welding again!

M

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job teaming....In the design, execution and recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors