Madagascar ebony

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The Wall Street Journal - Guitar Frets: Environmental Enforcement Leaves Musicians in Fear

Interesting read... I do use exotic woods... and I didn't know until reading this article that there is "paperwork" required for ebony and other materials used in guitar making.

"It's not enough to know that the body of your old guitar is made of spruce and maple: What's the bridge made of? If it's ebony, do you have the paperwork to show when and where that wood was harvested and when and where it was made into a bridge? Is the nut holding the strings at the guitar's headstock bone, or could it be ivory? "Even if you have no knowledge—despite Herculean efforts to obtain it—that some piece of your guitar, no matter how small, was obtained illegally, you lose your guitar forever," Prof. Thomas has written. "Oh, and you'll be fined $250 for that false (or missing) information in your Lacey Act Import Declaration."

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
It's only an issue if you take the instrument out of the country and bring it back in through Customs or you import thousands of board feet (like Gibson) and don't do the paperwork correctly. You can also make the Gubmit' man mad (like Gibson did) and refuse to cop a plea and have the audacity to sue the Feds for the return of your property.

I've heard of US built guitars being taken to a Guitar Show in Montreal and confiscated at the Canadian border when the owners tried to bring them back in with "suspected" banned South African Mother of Pearl inlay because the owners did not produce a paper trail of where the MOP came from. An individual doesn't have any recourse but to give up the instrument, pay the fine and say goodbye. Where the guitars end up would be a good story for 60 Minutes to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RnIdhb2iXg&feature=player_embedded

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It's only an issue if you take the instrument out of the country and bring it back in through Customs or you import thousands of board feet (like Gibson) and don't do the paperwork correctly. You can also make the Gubmit' man mad (like Gibson did) and refuse to cop a plea and have the audacity to sue the Feds for the return of your property.

I've heard of US built guitars being taken to a Guitar Show in Montreal and confiscated at the Canadian border when the owners tried to bring them back in with "suspected" banned South African Mother of Pearl inlay because the owners did not produce a paper trail of where the MOP came from. An individual doesn't have any recourse but to give up the instrument, pay the fine and say goodbye. Where the guitars end up would be a good story for 60 Minutes to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RnIdhb2iXg&feature=player_embedded

Mark - Thanks for replying with the youtube link - it puts a new preservative on the article. I'm dumbfounded...

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I have a chunk of pre-ban Brazilian rosewood that I bought long ago to make some gearshift knobs. I hope the guy I sold the car to doesn't drive it to Canada. I have been using the remnants for trim and small things. I don't know how I could document when I bought it. I know where I got it and they are still in business. Do you think they could find me a copy of a 30 year old receipt?

I don't understand why the government always wants to mess with the small guys. Can't they target the importation of lumber?

-Gary

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I have the same problem as Gary with some ebony and some Brazilian rosewood that I bought over 30 years ago. That company is no longer in business. Although I am not really concerned in any way, it really rankles me to see the government wasting their time, and our money, on confiscating musical instruments from legitimate artists and antique instrument purveyors.

Also, I would like to know how a customs agent can distinguish the genus and species of woods that may be decades old. Brazilian rosewood, and many other dalbergia species turn almost black after many years. Even wood experts may have difficulty distinguishing Brazilian from any one of several other exotics. Is this another case of guilty until proven innocent that various government agencies seem to enjoy?

OK, I'll stop ranting.:BangHead:

Matt

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Here's an excellent reference document produced by the Guild of American Luthiers. The authors represent a good slice through the Luthier supply chain...Lumber importer-suppliers, Inlay supplier, Large Retail importer-supplier, Individual builders, Vintage Instrument dealer and Fish and Wildlife Service so there is more than one point of view presented. http://www.luth.org/cites.htm

The problem is the enforcement (like TSA, FDA, OSHA, etc) is not handled evenly and you are at the mercy of the inspector and how they understand and are being told to interpret to rules.

Persimmon, Osage Orange and Walnut are looking better every day.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
IIs this another case of guilty until proven innocent that various government agencies seem to enjoy?

Matt

Guilty until you prove yourself innocent - that's exactly it. I can understand the fervor to protect resources; however you just have to wonder if the bureaucracy of enforcement ever sees the big picture. Reminds me of the time that TSA confiscated my small hand pencil sharpener because it had a 1/2" blade in it, but let me keep all of my sharp pencils.

- Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS