Machinery repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlottend

New User
Brian
A local Charlotte shop I've been buying wood from has a Grizzly G0503 resaw that the blade won't track on. They've tried fixing it in house but are ready to pay someone to get it running. Any suggestions for who they should call?

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I don't know of anyone but have often thought there might be a part time job for someone to do equipment setup, maintenance, and repair onsite by appointment. There has to be more than a few out there that would pay a skilled tech to come over and go over their equipment. Just a thought.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Coley Wilson did this from his retirement from Dillon Supply till his death. Dillon was the Delta distributor for eastern NC, where Coley assembled and tuned machines before delivery to customer, plus did onsite and in store repairs. In the age of the internet, his type have disappeared.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't know of anyone but have often thought there might be a part time job for someone to do equipment setup, maintenance, and repair onsite by appointment. There has to be more than a few out there that would pay a skilled tech to come over and go over their equipment. Just a thought.
Be careful. You'll get lectured on how you need to do it yourself.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Brian, I was recently put into contact with Wendell's Woodwork in the Charlotte area for Jet warranty. From what I understand, most of their work is industrial machinery repair. I don't know if they'll work on Grizzly but I'd give them a call and ask. They don't have much web presence but have been in business a long time. Here is a copy of their contact info:
Wendells Woodwork Inc dba Diversified Equip Supp
11223 Blair Road
Charlotte, 28227
USA
P: 7045455198
I assume the shop has contacted Grizzly support which would obviously be step 1.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I used to do that sort of part time for school shops. Mostly during the summer. I also was a field warranty repair person for Delta and Powermatic. Things changed. I could probably stay fairly busy in schools and some industry, but I've mostly retired. More and more I was running to low cost Asian import machines that there was just no way to "repair".

I'm afraid that's going to be the situation for what is being discussed in this thread although I hope not.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike Davis on this site is the best person I know for doing machine tuning. Maybe you can talk him into taking a look.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Be careful. You'll get lectured on how you need to do it yourself.

After offering to repair your saw for free at least three times, yeah you do get told to learn how to do it yourself.

This is not an attack, just a reminder.

And, if you bring it to the workshop I will still fix it for free.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Some years back I would trouble shoot band sawmills for blade sharpening customers, and also did machine tune up for school wood shops. The only machines I will work on anymore are my own, due to age and disabilities. It shouldn't be that difficult to learn how to track your blades in a band mill, it's a little more difficult than a large band saw, but the same principles apply. There is also the problem with resonance causing the blade to cut in a wavy fashion. It could be the sharpening and setting of the saw teeth, or the blade speed, or the feed speed. A few variables, but nothing difficult, Just eliminating one thing at a time. Good luck with your project.

JCW

New User
John
You also might want to check with Leneave in Charlotte. They sell the Shop Fox and Steelex siblings of Grizzly. If they don't service them, they may know someone who does.

Charlottend

New User
Brian
Call Woodcraft in Charlotte...They have a guy that they work with.

I was able to get a hold of someone through Woodcraft. He came out and fixed it within an hour. My only regret is that we didn't call him sooner. Thanks for the help everyone.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Can you post who did the repair? I would like to have it for future reference if ever needed since I'm local to Charlotte. Thanks.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS