Lurem Update

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
First big one-forward-two-backwards learning challenge. Disgusting part was I realized that a few weeks ago and forgot. Where is Dr. Carson's memory pills.
At least it didn't involve glue or finish. Those are the kinds of one-step-forward, start-all-over-again mistakes I make.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Now on the hunt for a metric liquid tight cord connector. Just have to figure out the size.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Got these installed last night.

Flaps up. Motor wired. Have to (re)install the saw table to mount the motor.

Unknown-19.jpeg

Flaps down.
Jointer feed is from this side (photo bottom). Planer feed is from opposite side (duh! photo top).
Unknown-18.jpeg

IowaGreens

New User
Greens
Great work in the Lurem !! I have the Lurem C260J and was wondering if you might be able to help me figure out what type of roller chain your machine has. Mine is missing but all the sprockets are there. I assume its a metric chain but not sure what size. Does your chain have any Markings on it ?

IowaGreens

New User
Greens
Got these installed last night.

Flaps up. Motor wired. Have to (re)install the saw table to mount the motor.

View attachment 214873

Flaps down.
Jointer feed is from this side (photo bottom). Planer feed is from opposite side (duh! photo top).
View attachment 214874
Really like your Lurem restoration work !! Wondering if you could help me with a question. I have the Lurem C260J and I need a roller chain for it (metric i assume) but cant figure out what size. Does your roller chain have any type of markings or numbers on it ?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
IowaGreens
Thank you. I don't recall any markings on the chain. I'll see if I can take a peek as I may have to lift the table portion off - the saw blade is grossly out of alignment. In French, my chain is "Chaine Pas g,52 67 Maillons" in the IPB. Google translate says, Chain Pitch g.52 67 Links.

I need to post some more pictures.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've been remiss.
Thank you for all the comments and encouragement. I have put this project on the back burner while I thought about how to adjust the jointer tables (easy peasy once I got over making it hard and looked at the IPB carefully) and how to get the saw blade aligned. The saw blade is out of alignment by 5-10 degrees and I have not determined why.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Greens, thanks for the wake up.

FYI, there are no markings on the chain. I disassembled and removed the saw table to confirm that. The rollers are ~6.40mm in diameter and the centers appear to be 10mm apart. These are pictures form both sides. I tried.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
While searching out the chain markings, I took the time to investigate the blade alignment. Had a washer on the wrong side of the height adjustment pivot. Easy fix. Problem is, it was too easy. While the French did some interesting things with the design, some of the fitment has no apparent fine adjustment capability. Blade alignment being one. Still, it is much better. Accurate, don't know. I have fit a blade to the arbor.
Before, you can see the blade guard is catywhompused (sp). The insert would not fit in the slot with the riving knife installed. Second photo was supposed to help expose the problem but not sure it does. Trust me, the insert would not fit with riving knife in place.

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-9.jpeg

After the adjustment, the insert is installed, the riving knife is in place (blade guard mount) and the blade guard seems parallel to the miter slot (sigh of relief). The second photo shows the insert finally in place. I'll take measurements once I get a blade installed to see if shimming may be required. Also, need to (finish) align the sliding table (on the left).

Unknown-27.jpeg
Unknown-15.jpeg

And here is the chuck cover (mortiser) I fab'ed from a 2" dust nozzle and a piece of ABS (from McMaster Carr). The original one was badly heat deteriorated so a little grinding, cutting, drilling, tapping, etc. and wha-la, a cover:

1673044826320.jpeg

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe this is the jointer knife installation jig. Took me all this time to figure that out. On the other side of the casting are 3 machined 'tenons' and under the knob is a magnet. As I understand it the left and bottom side sits on the outfield table and the right side point sits on the jointer arbor for blade installation. I'll try it out when I reinstall the blades.

Unknown-6.jpeg

This little item has confounded me for a couple of months. I finally came to the conclusion that it is a holder for sharpening jointer/planer (its a combo machine) blades. See if you agree...
Unknown-13.jpeg
Unknown-12.jpeg

Been putzing around trying to fit this cover thingy onto the machine and finally got it installed today. Apparently, the shield had been beat around and twisted badly. Just need to get some 8mmX1.0 bolts to but the blade guard in place. That is what you see hanging down and partially covering the decal. The decal explains how to route the drive belts.
Unknown-26.jpeg

And for those curious, in the right background is the closet for the Clearvue. The switches in the upper (right of the clamps) are start and stop buttons. The stop button does not function for 20 mins after the cyclone is started. The switch in the lower box is the emergency stop. It always works!! Just trying to stay conscience of not starting the cyclone more than 4 times/hour.

Sad news: I measured the old drive belts, one for the shaper and saw, the other for the jointer/planer, and ordered new ones when I did the disassembly months ago. Today I tried to fit the belts and they are about 1-2mm too wide. Not sure how I want to proceed.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
This will be the last update for the Lurem rebuild. Maybe I'll do a 'redux' when I use it.

I used 5-1/4 cans of rattle paint on the Lurem to get it this far. It was cheaper to buy a 6 pack from the Orange Box than buy individual cans (or case) from anywhere else I found.

Unknown-29.jpeg

Work remaining is to replace the plastic hand wheels that are height adjusters for the planer table, the shaper, and the mortiser. The storage shed the machine was in (for 15 years I was told) was so hot that several plastic knobs partially melted/decayed. The hand wheels all had graduations on the circumference which is cool and an unfortunate loss, IMHO. I got new hand wheels from the Grizz but have to get them milled with a 7 degree internal taper to mount them to the shafts. The shafts are over 1" in diameter. The ends of the shaft are tapered so there is a squeeze fit when the plastic hand wheels are tightened. Anybody got a milling machine and a 7 degree tapered end mill with a 5/8" (of course it is really millimeters) small end?

Couple other small knobs still need to be replaced - either lost or damaged but those should be available from McMaster Carr. And, I'm waiting on a metric version of a liquid tight electrical connector so that I can reinstall the lead wire and restore power.

FWIW, I may have a couple hundred invested for small parts and paint.

I also have this and have no idea what it is:

Unknown-19.jpeg

Probably around 20" long. The bar is maybe 1/4 X 1-1/8. The spring loaded bolts may extend 2". I really don't believe it belongs with the Lurem. The (nice wooden) box of Lurem parts I originally received also has some steel flats of different sizes with a concerningly sharp 45 degree chamfer cut on one side of each piece. No clue what these are for. Also, spare parts included a piece of round stock and a piece of pipe. Just ignore the door latch, nail, and battery post cover, please. Junk or treasure?

Unknown-17.jpeg
Unknown-22.jpeg
Unknown-25.jpeg

I kinda enjoyed most of the restoration. When fully assembled, the Lurem has a large foot print, maybe 5'X5'. Not sure where to park it in the s'hanger. I am glad the Hammer N4400 dolly will also move the Lurem. Probably my use for the machine will be the joiner. Sometimes I get lost in my thoughts and want to channel Charlie and Earl and segmented turning. If only I could find a 20" disk sander to restore...

Thanks for following along. Sorry it has taken so long. Now, back to the lathe.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS