Lumber run coming soon at Scott Smith's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
Scott aluded to this in his recent post and I want to add some details. We bought a large quantity of zebrawood and a lesser amount of African mahogany (possibly sapele, but to be honest, I haven't seen it yet) off Craigslist. We plan on hauling it to Scott's as early as next week, and will be announcing a lumber run once we figure out the details. The zebrawood is nice, straight, and remarkably flat, but a fair percentage of the stack has mill damage - some pretty deep planer cuts, and those pieces may be scrap, or may only plane out to 2/4 or less (luthiers or box makers take note!). We won't know until we dig into the stack during loading.

As for pricing, we haven't decided, and probably won't until we've gone through and sorted the load. Zebrawood retails for $12-14/bd ft, and African Mahogany $5-6 or so, and I'm thinking 50% or less of that. Disclosure: we will make a little profit on this deal. But we'll also have invested over $1000, traveled a combined 600+ miles and put in about three days work. If you think the price we decide on is fair and you want some wood, great! If not, that's good too. Maybe Scott will add some of his wonderful QS oak to the sale?

We'll be posting more details as we get the wood moved and have had a chance to take stock of the material. If you think you might want some, let us know.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I am glad an ncww got this deal. And I hope you do make money off of it. I like having Scott Smith's mill around :). I will pick up a board or two of the zebra wood. Have never worked with it before.
Salem

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Count me in!!

For the record, I hope you make some money. Capitalism is part of what democracy is about.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I've got a coworker who makes flutes and loves African mahogany. He usually needs something like 8/4.

Here's his website for those interested in what he does.

http://risingmoonflutes.com/

He's been snagging some stuff lately from California walnut groves where English walnut roots were grafted to some other type of walnut. Beautiful stuff.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
I'd love to pick some up. Please post when it gets in good ol' NC. Thanks for doing this guys. Awfully nice of you.:thumbs_up

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
Definitely interested in some Zebra for a couple of boxes I have been putting off and some QSWO as well.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'm in for some mahogany. A few pieces ovever 4/4 would be great if it's there, but I could still use a bit if 4/4 or even thinner.

Thanks ! :icon_thum

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I don't have room for any more wood - seriously, I'm about to start hiding it under the bed in our guest room!

That's not a "no" by the way. I'll be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS