Lumber run #4 - Eastern Red Cedar forsale

Status
Not open for further replies.

psufaninnc

New User
winston
On the QSWO I'll need 25BF 8/4 , 50BF 5/4 and 25BF 4/4. As wide as you can accomodate and 8-9 long. Thanks for the offer to drop it off. I will gladly pay for gas or whatever you feel the is equitable to you. Winston

psufaninnc

New User
winston
Jeff -I am not going to take any of the wood. It's going to take too long to air dry, I was told it would two years to dry the 12/4 stock by local lumber dealers. There aren't any people commercially with kilns that I could find around my area. I am quite sorry for the trouble. Winston

J

jeff...

Jeff -I am not going to take any of the wood. It's going to take too long to air dry, I was told it would two years to dry the 12/4 stock by local lumber dealers. There aren't any people commercially with kilns that I could find around my area. I am quite sorry for the trouble. Winston

Winston, I'll go ahead and remove you from the list in the first post of this thread. Please try to keep in mind there are lots of ways to dry lumber. For indoor use (furniture), I wouldn't think strictly air drying here in North Carolina would ever get you to a MC needed for indoor use. The wood will need to be dried further, I use a combination of air drying and dehumidification with a trap, it seems to work very well for me and is very inexpensive.

Thanks again and no trouble at all...

J

jeff...

Hi everyone, since this thread lay dormant for a little while, I thought it would be good to wake it up and remind everyone this run will be coming up in two weeks. We'll be starting to saw the logs this week so we'll have plenty of time to fill everyones orders. We still have 400 BF of ERC available. If there is no further interest in ERC, we could also do a few 100 BF of some other species.
I just don't want to put to much on my trailer at one time. If there is interest in other species just let me know by posting replying to this thread.

Thanks

tonyps

New User
Tony
evening,
Jeff, if it works out that you have some room/weight remaining on this run, would you have any of the Black Walnut still lying around? If so, I could use around 100bdft. I am in no hurry, so a future run is fine as well.
On a different note, I was reading the previous post on using other methods to dry the ERC so it useable in doors. Do you (or any of the other folks here) know where I could get some of the ERC kiln dried to bring the MC down to an acceptable level, within my lifetime (smile)? Any idea on cost as well?
Thanks agian and looking forward to the 02/25 ERC run. You guys are great!

Tony ...

J

jeff...

evening,
Jeff, if it works out that you have some room/weight remaining on this run, would you have any of the Black Walnut still lying around? If so, I could use around 100bdft. I am in no hurry, so a future run is fine as well.
On a different note, I was reading the previous post on using other methods to dry the ERC so it useable in doors. Do you (or any of the other folks here) know where I could get some of the ERC kiln dried to bring the MC down to an acceptable level, within my lifetime (smile)? Any idea on cost as well?
Thanks agian and looking forward to the 02/25 ERC run. You guys are great!

Tony ...

Tony, you can stick it and allow it to air dry for few months and then put a dehumidifier in with the stack, cover with a tarp and dehumidify till around 6 ~8%, just keep an eye on the set up and empty the dehumidifier when it needs it. After air drying to around 12 ~14% the longest I've had to dehumidify a small stack of red oak lumber was 4 weeks. This was only because I was being very kind to it (gave it a break each night). But ERC should dry sooner, it's a dry wood to begin with and does dry pretty fast in comparison to something like red oak.

We stopped at BORG this afternoon on our way home and priced the polycarbonate sheets for a solar kiln, I got Ted and Winston nodding up and down. I hope we can start cutting the lumber to build it as soon as the mad seasonal firewood rush ends within the next month or so. Once complete and operational we can start offering kiln dried lumber.

What thickness would you like the 100BF of BW?

Thanks

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening,
Thanks for the suggestion, I will certainly give the dehumidifier a shot.
For the BW, if you could manage half 4/4 and half 6/4 (or something around there..) that would be great...let me know what ya can do when you get a minute...
Thanks again, best to all.

Tony ...

J

jeff...

Tony - I'll include it with this run if that's ok with you? The price for BW is $1.50 a BF to NCwoodworker members. There's a good amount of black walnut logs in the yard, so this won't be a problem.

There are some soft maple logs out there and I think I seen a nice sized crotch log. We did have some soft red maple with ambrosia markings for the second run but hard maple (sugar maple) with be hard to find around here. I think a guy would need to go pretty far north to find a decent sized sugar maple to make into lumber.

Thanks

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Hey,

I can take 30bf 4/4 of the ERC. Looking for width over length. So the shorter peices (4-6 foot range etc...) are fine by me. I get more but I have 200bf of wenge coming in about a month. :)

Marlin

J

jeff...

I think I captured all the updates to this thread correctly.

* Received a PM from Justicefan23 canceling his 100 BF of ERC
* Added 30 BF 4/4 ERC for Marlin - Confirmed
* Added 100 BF of Black Walnut (50 BF 4/4, 50 BF 6/4 - max width, 8' long) for TonyPS UN-Confirmed

Tony please confirm the 100 BF of BW

Everyone else please check the first post in this thread and smack me up side the head if I goofed.

Thanks

tonyps

New User
Tony
Tony - I'll include it with this run if that's ok with you? The price for BW is $1.50 a BF to NCwoodworker members. There's a good amount of black walnut logs in the yard, so this won't be a problem.

There are some soft maple logs out there and I think I seen a nice sized crotch log. We did have some soft red maple with ambrosia markings for the second run but hard maple (sugar maple) with be hard to find around here. I think a guy would need to go pretty far north to find a decent sized sugar maple to make into lumber.

Thanks
Afternoon, That would be good on the Black Walnut, and thanks for being able to add this into the mix!

Tony ...

Marlin

New User
Marlin
^

That is what I am will probable do. But I rather have 4/4 so when it dries and I plan it down it will be good and set. Getting green wood that thin I would think may crack/warp/etc... more easily depending on the orignal wetness.

J

jeff...

Hi Jeff,

Would it be possible to get about 50 feet of 2/4 ERC? I want to make some small boxes and I hate to waste so much wood planing it down. Plus my band saw is a POS so I can't re-saw it myself. ~5-8 inch wide and <8 feet long would be great.

I understand it is more work and will cost more to mill.

Yep your right it is more work and would take the right log to do it with any, stress in the log and that would be all she wrote. What final thickness are you looking for? I might just have 50 BF of thin stuff laying around here.

Thanks

J

jeff...

jeff if it aint all gone 50bf 4\4 any width QS would be great

Will gladly add you in for 50 BF of 4/4, however we won't be quarter sawing the ERC, it'll be flat (plain) sawn. Let me know if that will be a problem for you.

Thanks

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Jeff, I also would be interested in 100 bf of black walnut if available. I would like it as wide as possible and 5/4, again if available. Let me know if this is possible. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS