Lumber Rack done. . . . second thoughts *w/pic*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I cleaned out my local Lowes- bought their last 3 10' lengths of 1/2" galvanized pipe, but as you can see, I still need a few more pieces.
Woodrack-5.JPG

Anyway, the rack came out great, as designed, should be fine to hold lots of wood.

The problem is I don't think I like it. After loading some some scraps on the shelves, I realized two BIG shortcomings- first, I will need to use a step ladder to load and unload all but the bottom shelf, and even with a ladder it won't be easy. Secondly, it will be difficult to examine, sort through, and remove individual pieces of stacked wood. I mounted the rack high, the bottom shelf is at 6', because my intention was to put a rolling sheet-goods rack below it (my shop keeps getting smaller)

I am thinking, however, that I should find another place for the sheet-goods rack, then redo the lumber rack so I can stack my lumber near vertically, on end, facing L/R, with edges towards the wall. Stacking the lumber on end will allow easy stacking/unstacking and inspection of the lumber. I'll still need to stack and sticker green lumber in the garage.

Unless someone talks me out of it, tomorrow I take down this rack and start over.

Monty

New User
Monty
For what it's worth, my setup is similar - lumber up top and sheet goods below. It's a great arrangement for space saving, but it's a pain to load/unload and sort through just like you said. I have a sawhorse that I step up on to get to the rack, but I'll admit it can get a little tense moving 12' long stock while I'm perched on that thing.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
FWIW, I moved mine from where it originally was. They take up a lot of wall space, and if your shop is like mine, you are running out of space. I have to get on a ladder for all but the bottom shelf of mine, but I deal with it. My rack is a bit deeper than yours so I can sort through, but I don't think I have anywhere else to make mine work. One other consideration is to put it where it is easy to get wood into the shop and easy to get it to the first tools to cut with. Not trying to talk you out of it or into it, just food for thought.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
>> redo the lumber rack so I can stack my lumber near vertically, on end, facing L/R, with edges towards the wall. <<

Is it OK to store it vertically for long periods of time? I've been thinking about doing this but thought it might cause problems over time.

pete

T

toolferone

>> redo the lumber rack so I can stack my lumber near vertically, on end, facing L/R, with edges towards the wall. <<

Is it OK to store it vertically for long periods of time? I've been thinking about doing this but thought it might cause problems over time.

pete

I thought the same thing. I thought horizontal was better. I would think about lowering it. I like the design, but you could add more shelves which means each one would hold less lumber, but be easier to get the board at the bottom of that shelf.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Well I spent a couple of hours LATE last night Googling the WWW and searching half a dozen WW forums for woodracks and have decided to redo my shop rack- I am going to change it to vertical. If vertical is good enough for retailers like WC and Klingspor, and lesser known ( :lol: ) woodworkers like David Marks, Lon Schleining, and Sam Maloof, its good enough for me. I'll still keep my green stuff horizontally stacked and stickered in the garage.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I read something that suggested that, if you stack vertically, clamping a few boards together will reduce/eliminate any tendency to warp or twist. Couldn't hurt.....

pete

MarkW

New User
Mark
I built mine from some plans i found on the web and like yours the supports start somewhere around 5 feet and go up from there. The plans included a sheetgood holder built in which included steps to allow you to reach higher but it is still such a pain to sort and somewhat dangerous to load and unload.
Keep us posted on how you resolve this, I may want to change mine also.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Alan I used a different approach. My lumber rack is from the floor to around 6 feet up.

I built a wide sheet rack, hung from the ceiling joists for sheet storage. Sheets are stored horizontally. Frame is 2x4 on 16 inch centers, sheet of OSB on top of the 2x4 frame serves as the "bottom" of the sheet stoprage rack.It is a royal pain to sort through the sheet stock but I just don't do it very frequently.

I am always looking through the lumber rack to match grain/color on project and it helps immensely to have the boards at a lower level.

Chuck

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
vertical stacking is actually a drying technique involving alternating boards leaned against a single support. It prevents sticker stain and other problems associated with drying with stickers. I have a VERY large holly tree that will be sawn and dried this way before going into the kiln.

J

jeff...

vertical stacking is actually a drying technique involving alternating boards leaned against a single support. It prevents sticker stain and other problems associated with drying with stickers. I have a VERY large holly tree that will be sawn and dried this way before going into the kiln.

Kyle you got Holly? I need to come visit you :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS