Lumber prices

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
At least the construction industry has not influenced hard wood lumber prices yet.

I don’t purchase retail ever, but always wonder how much margin they make.

8/4 Select cherry delivered this morning for a customer job, $3.80 a bf.

Perhaps we should do a lumber run one day, wholesale prices with volume discount?

8AD6FB13-B507-4D74-A1F1-01D3CFDBD9CE.jpeg

Bill J

Bill
User
I'm always in for a lumber run! And my project list from my wife is so long that I don't need to hide it...of course there may be a few extra boards that I need just in case.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
For anyone interested, I have a pretty good relationship with my wholesaler and while they carry the normal run of hardwood lumber, they can get just about anything domestic, provided I give them enough time to source. The challenge remains quantities as they do not cater for small bf purchases.

For example, I needed 12/4 Ambrosia Maple and the cheapest I could get it from the main two retail suppliers here in central NC was $4++ per bf. My wholesaler sourced it from a mill, kiln dried at $1.80 a bf. price to me. Really pretty stuff, but I had to take the whole lot the mill had on hand. This was below the price the retailers buy at.

We are pretty loaded with work at the moment, but perhaps closer to June we can look at a lumber run + barbecue. It would mean all those interested give me a wish list and if there is enough volume, we can combine it as a wholesale purchase, agreeing on the best deal available and pull the trigger.

I have no interest in making anything out of this, it is just for the love of woodworking and NCWW.

Later

Willem

Bill J

Bill
User
Thanks for doing this, maybe we could suggest a donation to NCWW.
I am happy to coordinate the wish list if that will help. And I do have one question, what would you consider a reasonable minimum order per type of wood?

also - I just looked at your website - beautiful work!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Thanks for doing this, maybe we could suggest a donation to NCWW.
I am happy to coordinate the wish list if that will help. And I do have one question, what would you consider a reasonable minimum order per type of wood?

also - I just looked at your website - beautiful work!
If it is the usual domestic hardwoods, the total order has to be $1,000 or more. If it is something which they don’t normally stock, it depends on the mill they source from.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm in. I just picked up some scrap pieces of Birch 3/4" plywood (17" x 96") which will help me on a lot of projects around here, particularly since I don't have to try to lug a full sheet of plywood with my bad back. I'll have some of what Jeremy's having.

Bill J

Bill
User
As I said in my earlier post, I'm happy to coordinate a wish list. So far I have curly maple and cherry for Jeremy and Mike. I also want some "plain" cherry in 12/4 and 4/4 as well as some maple, curly maple and I can always use more walnut.
If others want to either reply or PM their wish lists I can add them and we can check back in with Willem in May and see if we have a reasonable order.
Mike and Jeremy, how much would you need and what thickness? (note: I intentially say need rather than want because you always need more wood!)

Roger45

Roger
User
I will be looking for some 4/4 maple or curly maple and some walnut. I’m just a hobbyist keeping the wife happy but she is flexible on the design.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike and Jeremy, how much would you need and what thickness? (note: I intentially say need rather than want because you always need more wood!)
I'm just a hacker, so I'd probably want enough to contribute to the order. I don't have a particular amount in mind, but it probably need to be 4/4. Is it available S4S? Widths can vary.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

For me it all depends on what ends up being available and what the prices are. I'd have a preference for thicker stock like 8/4, but would not object to anything down to 4/4. I'd anticipate being in the 50bf - 100bf range if I had to guess.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
As an afterthought, I would love to see the look on my face when I saw my $1.50 2X4s at Lowes with a price tag of $6.50 each.
Pop :eek:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS