Lumber or firewood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
After last night's storm I have an oak hung up in the back yard. Concern #1 is getting it on the ground safely. My second concern is would it be worth trying to get any lumber out of it? It splintered about six feet up, so 5' lengths is about the most I could expect out of the base. I didn't have time to get a good look at it yet, so I am not sure of the diameter, but I'm guessing about 20" just above the break. I think it's a red oak, but I'm not sure of that either. We have both red and white oaks.

So, what's the tipping point on that? I don't plan to harvest my own wood on an ongoing basis, so I really don't want to get into the chainsaw mill thing, so I would have to get a sawyer involved. I don't have anywhere to stack and dry it. Or could I sell it? Or would it be better to get some firewood out of it?

Thanks for any advice,
Charles

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You might check w/ one of the sawyers on the site to see what they say. I think Kyle is fairly close to you in Iron Station, NC.

Usually wood that is broken off in a storm like that has too much stress to be good for lumber. Don't know about turning blanks.

Bill

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Charles, the rule of thumb regarding milling storm downed trees is that it's ok to mill them if they were upended with the root ball still attached, but not to mill them if the trunk split off.

The reason why is wind shake, and the potential that a lot of the lumber will be useless.

I actually have an oak that is down in my pasture from the tornado a few weeks ago, and it will be destined for firewood. :gar-Cr

Scott

cpw

New User
Charles
Charles, the rule of thumb regarding milling storm downed trees is that it's ok to mill them if they were upended with the root ball still attached, but not to mill them if the trunk split off.

The reason why is wind shake, and the potential that a lot of the lumber will be useless.

I actually have an oak that is down in my pasture from the tornado a few weeks ago, and it will be destined for firewood.

Scott

Thanks Scott. Now I just have to figure out how to get it down.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks Scott. Now I just have to figure out how to get it down.

Unless you really know what you're doing, I strongly suggest calling a professional. This is one of those situations where you don't want to learn through experimentation......

Travis

cpw

New User
Charles
Unless you really know what you're doing, I strongly suggest calling a professional. This is one of those situations where you don't want to learn through experimentation......

Travis

A this point there is no way for the tree to hit the house, so I'm going to be taking my time in examining the situation. It's laying on two smaller trees that are under tension, so we've got a spring pole situation right there, and the fork near the top is lodged around another larger oak. No question, it's dicey.

cpw

New User
Charles

anemosis
Botany
A condition in which the annual layers of certain trees are separated from one another, frequently attributed to the effects of strong winds on the trunk, although some believe the condition results from exposure to frost or lightning. Also, wind shake.

"Anemosis." Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology. Oxford: Elsevier Science & Technology, 1992. Credo Reference. 8 Jan. 2003. Web. 11 May 2011. <http://www.credoreference.com.proxy011.nclive.org/entry/apdst/anemosis>.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
same topic :icon_scra

Neighbor has 5 Poplar trees ranging from 16 to 20" Diameter about 80' long layin on the ground from last nights wind here in Lake Wylie - also a cherry about 9" in Dia x 12' long (the top has been cut) and I have an Oak about 12" at the base - anyone know who might be interested - all are down from the base.

Several others split off including pines and other poplars which have pretty much been cut to firewood already - it has been a chainsaw kind of day around here but I didn't see any on any houses on a tour this morning

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A this point there is no way for the tree to hit the house, so I'm going to be taking my time in examining the situation. It's laying on two smaller trees that are under tension, so we've got a spring pole situation right there, and the fork near the top is lodged around another larger oak. No question, it's dicey.

I've cut a few trees in my life time. The one your talking about is called a widow maker, it's also called a fool killer and for good reason too. My suggestion is get a bonded professional in there and watch from a safe distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS