Lumber for sale - Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerrion

New User
Jerrion
White Oak lumber from two butt logs (36"x 8') out of same old growth tree. High % clear and high % quarter sawn. Mostly 8" to 12" wide. 50% 5/4 50% 9/4. If you’re willing to take a whole pile that is partially green and rough sawn Ill give you a good deal.

I have more logs of similar size that have not been cut yet and i'm willing to cut to order. I also have Elm from and hickory currently milled. As I work though the backlog:)D) of logs I should have red oak and maple. I will update this post with anything new.

I have some pictures that I will update this post with when I get home. You can reply to this post with any questions or message me for contact info. I'm in south durham near 40.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20170812_17_18_18_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20170812_17_18_18_Rich_LI.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 310
  • WP_20170812_17_17_42_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20170812_17_17_42_Rich_LI.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 309
  • WP_20170812_17_17_58_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20170812_17_17_58_Rich_LI.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
White Oak lumber from three butt logs (36"x 8') out of same old growth tree. High % clear and high % quarter sawn. Mostly 8" to 12" wide. 50% 5/4 50% 9/4. If you’re willing to take a whole pile that is partially green and rough sawn Ill give you a good deal.

I have more logs of similar size that have not been cut yet and i'm willing to cut to order. I also have Elm from and hickory currently milled. As I work though the backlog:)D) of logs I should have red oak and maple. I will update this post with anything new.

I have some pictures that I will update this post with when I get home. You can reply to this post with any questions or message me for contact info. I'm in south durham near 40.

How green is the oaks you have? I am in need of some red oak to make spindles for Windsor chairs. The wetter the tree the better. Truth is all I need is a block about 30" long and 16--20" diameter. Would you have that available?

Jerrion

New User
Jerrion
I do not currently have any red oak swan but we could work something out. The logs have been down for a few years but they are large logs so the core of the log is still wet. I can get a reading on them this coming week. I will send you a direct message as soon as I get a reading and we can discuss price and how quickly you need it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
White Oak lumber from three butt logs (36"x 8') out of same old growth tree.

How do you get 3 butt logs out of the same tree? Maybe the same old growth trees(S)?

Last edited:

Jerrion

New User
Jerrion
How do you get 3 butt logs out of the same tree? Maybe the same old growth trees(S)?

I should have technically said 1(2?) butt logs. Normally I thought the first 16-20 feet of a large tree was considered the butt log portion. The logs were about 9 feet long. the very first log was around 42 inches. The other 2 logs are around 36 inches so almost as big. The 4th section has a crotch in it and i'm hoping to get a good chunk out of it for a table with a live edge and a feathered crotch. We will see when I get it on the mill.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I understand your interpretation. I'm not a sawyer so maybe those guys will chime in.

My naive interpretation: The first section of the trunk above the felling notch is the butt (maybe +/- 8-9' l ???) and the remaining sections of the trunk up to the first crotch are not named per se (plain old logs to be sawn). :dontknow: :help:

Whatever we call them you have some nice wood to saw so carry on and post pics of your WIP.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
How many BF do you tally in your batch. I need some green WO for a boat project that I am contemplating. Won't need much for the project, but could always use some for future projects.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Please let me know when you get to the maple. Need to replace my benchtop (currently plywood) and am thinking maple would be a nice upgrade. Thx

Jerrion

New User
Jerrion
How many BF do you tally in your batch. I need some green WO for a boat project that I am contemplating. Won't need much for the project, but could always use some for future projects.

We have about 600bf at the moment. I updated the original post with some pics of what we have currently. I tried to get a few pics of the quarter swan stuff but i'm wishing I had taken photos when I did the sawing. Its hard to dig through the pile.

Jerrion

New User
Jerrion
I understand your interpretation. I'm not a sawyer so maybe those guys will chime in.

My naive interpretation: The first section of the trunk above the felling notch is the butt (maybe +/- 8-9' l ???) and the remaining sections of the trunk up to the first crotch are not named per se (plain old logs to be sawn). :dontknow: :help:

Whatever we call them you have some nice wood to saw so carry on and post pics of your WIP.

I am new myself! I updated with a few photos. I wish I had taken more while sawing. It was hot and i was covered in sawdust but its hard to dig through the pile for the now.

Last edited:

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Sorry to take so long getting back to this. Was thinking 6/4 or maybe even a bit thicker. Only need to do a benchtop so I will only need a few boards about 8 feet long.
thx

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I do not currently have any red oak swan but we could work something out. The logs have been down for a few years but they are large logs so the core of the log is still wet. I can get a reading on them this coming week. I will send you a direct message as soon as I get a reading and we can discuss price and how quickly you need it.

Jerrion------I lucked into 3 white oak logs this week that will supply what I needed----wish I was closer to you though to take advantage of some nice looking lumber.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS