Lost Art Press "The Anarchist's Workbench"

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
The Lost Art Press has produced another book in their Anarchist's series. Christopher Schwarz wrote this one on building a workbench. It's being printed and will be available in August($27), but if you want an electronic copy you can download it now for FREE!!!! Just jump on the link below to get more info and download the book. I haven't started reading it yet but its on my todo list.

Anarchist's Workbench link
“The Anarchist’s Workbench” is – on the one hand – a detailed plan for a simple workbench that can be built using construction lumber and basic woodworking tools. But it’s also the story of Christopher Schwarz’s 20-year journey researching, building and refining historical workbenches until there was nothing left to improve.

Along the way, Schwarz quits his corporate job, builds a publishing company founded on the principles of mutualism and moves into an 1896 German barroom in a red-light district, where he now builds furniture, publishes books and tries to live as an aesthetic anarchist.

“The Anarchist's Workbench” is the third and final book in the “anarchist” series, and it attempts to cut through the immense amount of misinformation about building a proper bench. It helps answer the questions that dog every woodworker: What sort of bench should I build? What wood should I use? What dimensions should it be? And what vises should I attach to it?

These questions are answered with the perspective of 2,000 years of workbench history.

Surprisingly, the way we immobilize pieces of wood to work on them hasn’t changed much in the last 700 years. But what has changed are the raw bench-building materials available to the modern woodworker. Gone are the massive slabs of oak, maple and beech that built the Western workbenches of our ancestors.

AWB-horizontal-4-IMG_1763.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it's anything like “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest” it will be a good read. Reading through his earlier book changed how I think about wood working, how I approach it, and why I enjoy it. Looking forward to reading this one.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I saw a post about this a couple of weeks ago and Schwarz actually said they are discussing making all 3 available for free download.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Dammit, that workshop, if it is a workshop with clamps on the wall, is WAY to clean!

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I saw a post about this a couple of weeks ago and Schwarz actually said they are discussing making all 3 available for free download.
I saw that too, looking forward to it. The hard copy books are reasonably priced for those of us that still like to"read" a book.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Anything from Lost Art Press is always a good read.
Reading the inside story of his $175 workbench was interesting to me.
That was my first workbench build. Still using it as my main carving bench.

Attachments

• 175 Workbench 2020.jpg
    175 Workbench 2020.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 218

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I followed the link, downloaded the book, read the book, and now I am wishing I had space (may have to MAKE space) to set that up in my (overstufferd) carport/garage workshop.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS