Lost a shop buddy; now need 12" dryish log

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
we had to put our mastiff, Rufus, down yesterday. his big ole heart finally gave out. he'd struggled with seizures the last 8 months and it was time. it doesn't make it any easier, but it was the right thing to do without a doubt.

i'd like to turn him an urn. i think i can just round and hollow a log hopefully. i figure if i can find a 12" dia log approx 20" long I can use that. if anyone near me has something please let me know. i'll swing by and get it. i'm smoking some dinner so i need something near me. i'd like to get it today but tomorrow would be fine too.

cptully

New User
Chris
Ashley,

I' don't recall the dimensions of the log scraps my dad has but I'll try to go measure and let you know. If he has an appropriate one, it will cost you no more than the gas to come get it... I'll send a PM when I have details.

Chris

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Ashley,

I' don't recall the dimensions of the log scraps my dad has but I'll try to go measure and let you know. If he has an appropriate one, it will cost you no more than the gas to come get it... I'll send a PM when I have details.

Chris

thanks chris

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Man, sorry for your loss. It's like losing a member of the family. Prayers are with all of you.

Kettrell

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Phil - I have a cherry log that might do. Yours if you want it.

pete

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Prayers sent your way. Got some tough decisions ahead of me this year.. Gonna be a tough time for sure!!

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Got some tough decisions ahead of me this year.. Gonna be a tough time for sure!!
We are in the same boat. My shop buddy of 17 years will need to go to sleep very soon:cry_smile:cry_smile:cry_smile My thought and prayers are with you.

cfield60

jeff
User
:gar-CrSorry about losing your best friend. My dog Rocket was truly missed in my shop when I lost him. Maybe when the time is right you will find another.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My dog, three cats and I send our regrets. We know how hard it is to loose a friend.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i picked up a couple nice pieces from Kyle today. both are pretty wet so i'm going to go out tomorrow and grab some alcohol to stablize the urn when i turn it.

i'll be sure to post pics.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
well turning an urn didn't work out.

i finally got a chunk mounted on my lathe, but when i turned it on it was so large and unstable the lathe was jumping off the ground and walking around. luckily i got to it and killed the power.

the good news is believe the lathe is ok. after it cooled down the motor powered up with nothing on the spindle. i'll hopefully get to check it out further later this week or the weekend.

so my fall back was to build a box, luckily i'd cut out a second "treasure" box a year or so ago when josh and i made him one. so i was ahead of the game on the box building, i assembled it last night. i went and bought some latches today so that will complete it.

i got the grave dug this morning before work and we'll bury him this evening. i think having it over with will be good for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors