Loonnngg boards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I've been remodeling an old farmhouse on one corner of my property, and am recovering the outside with board and batten siding combined with live-edge siding under the eaves. All of the siding has been kiln dried. I am planing all of my siding; this past weekend we planed over 5000 square feet, and in the process filled up TWO DUMP TRUCK loads with shavings from the planer!!!).

Just for grins, I decided to make the porch trim boards from a single board. The porch is 40' long, and so I milled some 1 x 12 x 40's on my Peterson sawmill.

Here are some photos of the 40' boards during the planing process:

Scott

Attachments

• 44 ft board2a.jpg
    44 ft board2a.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 221
  • 44 foot board1x.jpg
    44 foot board1x.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 207

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Now that is some serious board!!! One thing's for sure, if you need it, Scott can get it or make it. That is really something!!:icon_thum

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Scott: Just be sure to make pics when you put those boards up! I can't wait to see how you manage them. Forklift & rigging, I presume?? 8-O

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
So, "why would Scott work with 40 foot boards?"...

"Because he CAN!!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm green with envy - you have some serious [strike]toys[/strike] tools. :)

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I've seen 24 footers, but I have never seen a 40! I bet you had to be careful to keep it on edge so it wouldn't break.

As for the shavings, it tells me you have been planing a LOT of wood!

Touchwood

New User
Don
Scott: Just be sure to make pics when you put those boards up! I can't wait to see how you manage them. Forklift & rigging, I presume?? 8-O

Knowing Scott he already has that figured out.

He said he was getting the Queen Mary for his "pond" when it's finished. I don't think "small" is in his vocabulary.:-D

Don

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've said it before.."you are the man" Scott. I would never have even imagined 40' boards, but it's good to know that they are a possibilty.

Nice Job,

Jimmy:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
8-O8-O8-O I don't think my shortbed has a chance hauling those boards 8-O8-O8-O

Scott, you could charge admission for those of us wanting to tour your shop/farm. It must be like a Neverland Ranch for adults (minus the weird creepy owner :-D)

J

jeff...

I saw those boards as they were coming out of the kiln and being loaded on a trailer. I figured they were custom order for someone, I looked at the lumber and it kept going on and on... Try this walk up to any BORG lumber desk and ask em for 1 x 12 x 40". One of two things will happen: they will laugh at you or they will ask you to take out a bank loan.

Thanks

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Hi Scott,

Golly, I think those are the longest boards I've ever seen!

Now, a couple of questions...

1. Mahogany I presume... (?) :slap:
2. Quarter sawn? How? :saw: :slap:

Merry Christmas!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
All - thanks for the comments! It IS fun to do something out of the ordinary!

Now here's the kicker.... these aren't the longest boards that I can cut... I can cut all the way to 60'! It's more of a challenge to find a log large enough to yield usable lumber that's 60' long though... Handling a beam/board that long really become a challenge. My trailer deck is 37', so maneuvering around 40' isn't that big of a deal. Since the kiln is 44' long I can dry the longer boards also (and more importantly sterilize them).

Two men can actually handle a 40 footer with some ease (after it's KD that is). I'm careful in the drying process, and since my kiln is low temp versus conventional I have been able to dry the pine w/o making it brittle. Thus, there is a degree of flexibility in the long board that keeps it from breaking. You have to be careful with pine though - once you get the MC% below 10% it can become brittle.

The trim boards shouldn't be too dificult to install - we'll do so in a week or so once the stain arrives. I'll use a couple of ladders and my manlift to install them. The more challenging part will be the future v-groove T&G boards for underneath the porch and carport roofs, which I'm also considering making a single length. Fortunately the carport is only 26' long or so, but the porch boards are a different story. I'll either use 4" or 6" wide boards for the porch, so handling shouldn't be too difficult.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi Joe. The boards are southern yellow pine (Loblolly species, I recall), and yes they are quartersawn. I have a Peterson swing blade mill, and right now I can cut up to a 20" wide board.

I cut three of the 40 footers - one that I'll use on the farmhouse porch and two that I'll cut down to 33' for one of my horse barns.

We have a lot of SYP around here, so raw material is not much of a problem. Plus, SYP is extremely strong, and thus well suited for extended lengths.

Here is a photo of me sawing up a large oak log. I can mill a log up to 60" diameter, which really yields some nice quartersawn boards!

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 136

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
The more challenging part will be the future v-groove T&G boards for underneath the porch and carport roofs, which I'm also considering making a single length. Fortunately the carport is only 26' long or so, but the porch boards are a different story. I'll either use 4" or 6" wide boards for the porch, so handling shouldn't be too difficult.

How are you going to attack that process?

A router with a long extention cord on it? ;-)

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Hi Joe. The boards are southern yellow pine (Loblolly species, I recall), and yes they are quartersawn. I have a Peterson swing blade mill, and right now I can cut up to a 20" wide board.

I cut three of the 40 footers - one that I'll use on the farmhouse porch and two that I'll cut down to 33' for one of my horse barns.

We have a lot of SYP around here, so raw material is not much of a problem. Plus, SYP is extremely strong, and thus well suited for extended lengths.

Here is a photo of me sawing up a large oak log. I can mill a log up to 60" diameter, which really yields some nice quartersawn boards!

Scott

WOW! It looked like you were cutting the whole tree, before.

Awesome trees and Mill!!

Thank you for showing and clarifying...

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
These are some MASSIVE boards! Impressive ... to say the least. Can't wait to see how they turn out when installed. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS