Looking to buy rough cut hardwood near New Bern, NC

Leonard

Roy
User
Hi,
I just joined this site. My wife and I recently moved from Cincinnati, Ohio to New Bern, NC. I'm looking for a source(s) for hardwoods and furniture grade plywood to satisfy my urge to make some nice pieces of furniture for myself. Any suggestions?

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
You might try Bower Brothers Board Store in Jacksonville. I've picked up cherry there a few times. They've got a nice selection of wood. Anthony, one of the owners, is very nice. He helped me a pick out the wood for a couple of projects that came out looking really nice.

In the back of Franklin's Antiques there in New Bern is a woodworking company. I think they may have boards for sale there as well.

There's also Coastal Wood and Sawing in Newport, but they may be mostly slabs I haven't worked with them.

There are several stores down in Wilmington as well. I've used Woodies Wood Shop down there.

Leonard

Roy
User
KurtB,
Thanks so much for the feedback. I kind of figured I'd have to travel a bit. I have seen some boards at Franklin's Antique store. I think I'll head to Bower Brother's in Jacksonville soon. I hadn't realized until now how lucky I was in Cincinnati. They have a Paxton Lumber there with a huge variety.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
You can find both lumber and high grade sheet goods at Impulse Trading in Newport. They are a subsidiary of Veneer Tech, also in Newport, and formerly known as Atlantic Veneer in Beaufort. If you are interested in a wide selection of foreign lumber, including large slabs, etc., World Timber in Hubert is excellent. They are direct importers of lumber from all over the world. Although they are primarily a wholesaler, they will sell to hobbyists, but you need to call them first to set up a time. Don't just show up. They are located just off NC 24 between Newport and Jacksonville. I have done business with both for many years.

Leonard

Roy
User
Matt and Pete,
Thanks for the information on where to find rough cut lumber, etc. I'm anxious to get out there.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Also look at Precision Moulding & Woodworks in New Bern. I bought some ash from them a few years ago. Higher priced than The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville but closer to home. If you need quite a bit of wood The Hardwood Store does deliver to this area for a flat rate; used to be $75 but I think it went up recently with inflation.

Jerry C

Jerry
Senior User
You need to go to the Hardwood Store at least one time....It is a long trip but they have a wonderful selection of hardwoods and exotic woods. They also have a good selection of plywood that you can't find anywhere else. On the way through Raleigh you could visit Klingspors and Woodcraft. Tell your wife it is rite of passage for a woodworker to make this pilgrimage....

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome Leonard. If you don't want to travel Steve Wall Lumber will deliver. They have 20 board foot packs as well as exotics and slabs. When I travel to Raleigh from Winterville I usually make a stop at Woodcraft. A candy store for adults.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Hi,
I just joined this site. My wife and I recently moved from Cincinnati, Ohio to New Bern, NC. I'm looking for a source(s) for hardwoods and furniture grade plywood to satisfy my urge to make some nice pieces of furniture for myself. Any suggestions?
Between Jacksonville and New Bern in Hubert is Worldwide Timber Corporation of NC, and importer of exotic woods. Beautiful Exotic Woods from World Timber Corp in Hubert NC Call ahead to visit.

Leonard

Roy
User
You can find both lumber and high grade sheet goods at Impulse Trading in Newport. They are a subsidiary of Veneer Tech, also in Newport, and formerly known as Atlantic Veneer in Beaufort. If you are interested in a wide selection of foreign lumber, including large slabs, etc., World Timber in Hubert is excellent. They are direct importers of lumber from all over the world. Although they are primarily a wholesaler, they will sell to hobbyists, but you need to call them first to set up a time. Don't just show up. They are located just off NC 24 between Newport and Jacksonville. I have done business with both for many years.
Thank you Matt, Impulse Trading in Newport is first on my list.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS