Looking to buy a bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocountryboy

New User
Jack
I need a new bandsaw. In what order would you purchase these saws?
Porter Cable # PCB330BS, 14in
Jet #JWBS-140S, 14in, 3/4 hp
Grizzly # G0555LX, 14in, 1 hp

Thank you

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Well, you have them listed in lowest to highest price order and the Grizzly is almost twice as expensive as the PC.

I have the PC bandsaw. I added a riser block to expand its capacity. The riser block was the made by Jet and that tells me that like a lot of tools today they were both probably made in the same factory. I also added bearing blade guides and a good fence.

If money wasn't an overriding consideration I'd probably go with the Grizzly though. It comes with a decent looking fence. The miter gauge looks quite a bit better than what I have. It already has ball bearing blade guides. It has a blade tension release lever.

By the time you add all that stuff to the PC you have almost as much invested. Do that to the Jet, you have more invested.

So, the choice is, pay less today and over time add all the features or pony up the money for the Grizzly today and have the features right away.

Knowing what I know now, I'd just go straight for the Grizzly.

OTOH, now that I've added all that stuff to my PC there's no real reason to replace it with the Grizzly. At least not yet.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wish I had the Rikon 10-325, but I'm also very happy with my Grizzly. It has a very good resaw fence available and comes with roller bearing guides. If I were planning to add a riser block, I'd just get the Rikon instead.

In future I'll probably replace the Grizzly with a Rikon 14" and 10" for resaw and detail work. Right now the Grizzly is fine and serves my needs.

As noted the PC needs a lot of upgrades and I'm just not a fan of Jet products. Just a personal preference. I believe Grizzly has more bang for the buck.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Again, watch CL for used 14" machines. I personally own three Delta 14 " band saws, and for my needs don't need to up grade. Tonight, I cut out over 150 TFT cars in an hour and a half.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have the Grizzly as my first bandsaw. Never regretted the choice.

Do consider used....we are a merry band of enablers.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I have had several 14" bandsaws, including a Grizzly, two Delta models, and a Powermatic. Have purchased both new and used. I am currently using a Delta I purchased through Craigslist, paid $300 for it. In my experience taking the time to set up a bandsaw properly is more important than brand in sometimes even features. The little Delta I currently have is a solid performer and a no brainer at the price I paid. With all of that said, if I was buying a new bandsaw in this class it would be the new Jet 14" DX Pro without hesitation. It has excellent features, and I like the fact that they finally included the old riser block option as a part of the machine casting.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
00R0R_kSE70ntpwYd_600x450.jpg[QUOT…. E=junquecol;526564]I noticed there was no saw dust to be seen anywhere.[/QUOTE]

If you look really close at the end of the fence tube….

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
It's on the back page of a sale flyer I got in the mail today. Correction: "prices are good Sept 26 through October 23, 2015".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS