Looking for wood for a carved walking stick

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am looking for for a piece of wood with about 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter or a 4 x 4 inch piece that is free of cracks and knots and about 60 inches long, I would prefer Lodgepole Pine, Eastern Red Cedar, Juniper, Alder, or Birch.

PM me if you have a piece or let me know where I can buy a piece.

Thanks

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
That's going to be a very heavy walking stick.

I like them when they are light and small enough in diameter to be able to completely close my fingers around, 1 - 1 1/2" max, but still be strong. Think about how many times you are going to have to pick that up and place it forward at about 3/4ths of your arm reach. My last hiking sticks were Bamboo and about 1" diameter. About the lightest walking stick that can be found.

When hiking, and in need of a replacement walking stick, I would look for long and straight saplings a little larger that I needed, use them for the duration of the hike, then remove the bark and let them thoroughly dry before personalizing them. My favorite was Beech because of it's hardness. I didn't have a lathe, but a spoke shave got it about right, and then heavy sanding from there to make it round. The handle portion was left a little larger, and frequently carved. I never spent money for the materials. Potential walking stick candidates are everywhere in the woods.

Charley

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
That's going to be a very heavy walking stick.
You have to start fat if you're going to carve a snake stick or similar,
Most of the wood comes off in the carving.
Something like this.

Not to mention that he didn't say it was for a walking stick.

Attachments

• e9c30ee3f975cf676979f97c2cafbdab.jpg
    e9c30ee3f975cf676979f97c2cafbdab.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 88

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Something like this.

OMG!
That would have been beaten into itty bitty little pieces! LOL (It looks too realistic!)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Something like this.

Um. Yes he did. Read the title. ;)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
It is for a walking stick, but Pete is correct it is for a Mike Stennett snake walking stick. So it has to have a larger diameter because it does lose a lot due to the carving.

Thanks Jclrk for the recommendation. I am not sure of the wood, but they have some nice equipment.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Um. Yes he did. Read the title. ;)
You got me! - I read the post. Not the title. My bad.
It is for a walking stick, but Pete is correct it is for a Mike Stennett snake walking stick. So it has to have a larger diameter because it does lose a lot due to the carving.

Thanks Jclrk for the recommendation. I am not sure of the wood, but they have some nice equipment.
That is quite an undertaking. I've carved a few sticks but haven't worked up the nerve to do a full-blown Stennett style stick. Will you be using hand or power tools to rough it out? I'll be looking forward to following your progress. Be sure to take a lot of WIP photos.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I plan on using both hand and power tools. However, I need to find a good piece of wood first.
It's a good time of year to grab a saw and take a nice long walk in the woods. ;-))
One of Mr. Stennett's suggestions is a cedar fence post.
Did you get his book/video?

tghsmith

tghs
User
finding saplings that grew with vines can give some great walking stick blanks .. when gathering just make sure it wasn't a poison ivy vine...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's a good time of year to grab a saw and take a nice long walk in the woods. ;-))
One of Mr. Stennett's suggestions is a cedar fence post.
Did you get his book/video?
Just remember it is hunting season in large parts of the state. Safety first when walking in the woods.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS