Looking for wood bleach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I am having trouble finding some wood bleach or Oxalic Acid. I am refinishing a cabinet and the top has some hard to remove black stains, and wood bleach would do the trick. I am located in the Greenville/Winterville area. Thanks.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Mike,

Last time I bought Oxalic acid I found it at Ace Hardware in Washington. Have you tried Ace?

Ernie

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Many real paint stores will carry it. I've even seen it in a couple of big boxes.

If you live near the water, go to a marine supply store and look for "teak cleaner". Check the ingredients. Most teak cleaners are all oxalic acid.

thewoodeye

New User
woodeye
:kermit:
Hunter Paint on Monroe Road in Charlotte, N.C. carries this.
I don't know about shipping costs or issues.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Try the 2 part (A + B) bleaches. Woodcraft has some (I can not remember the brand name, but it is th eonly one they have), and it works great to bleach wood and remove mineral stains, etc.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Try the 2 part (A + B) bleaches. Woodcraft has some (I can not remember the brand name, but it is th eonly one they have), and it works great to bleach wood and remove mineral stains, etc.

I totally agree with Bill. When I was working on pianos I used a lot of two part bleaches and they work great. I'm not very sensitive to chemicals - most of them don't bother me at all. Oxalic acid is one that does. I can't go near the stuff without it burning my eyes. I avoid it whenever I can.

Ernie

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Ernie. I made the drive to Washington yesterday and found exactly what I needed. Found Ace Hardware on the net and a listing of store locations and it took me right to Hwy 264. Funny how in a larger city like Greenville it is nowhere to be found. I have always been that to find something obscure, to look for the oldest hardware store in town. These seem to have gone the way of metal-bodies hand-held power tools. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS