Looking for tools, power and hand ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Yeah, I've gotten a few finds there. But, it's a "feast or famine" type of thing.

The best time is Saturday morning, around 8:30am, they are still unloading(they open at 9:00) That's when you'll get the best finds.

Sunday, just before they close is when you get the best deals. They don't want to pack it back up I guess.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
If you do go there, be sure you never pay their asking price for a larger item. There is a guy running around that will shout prices at you, nag him for cheaper. He'll shout stuff at you from across the tent... "I'VE HAD THAT ITEM FOR TOO LONG, I WANNA GET RID OF IT.. I'LL GIVE IT TO YOU FOR $xxxx." It's really sorta funny. I think he carries an unlit cigar to chew on most of the time. They do have some items that are new.. or at least refurbished... make sure you know the "new" price before you take it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Depends on what you're looking for. Everytime I've been there, there is a booth with tons of hand electic tools, clamps etc. It's kinda like going to HF, you never know what deals you'll find. I am sure that you can find a few old handtools but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen. My .02, Dave:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I go a good bit since I live very near the fairgrounds, but it depends on what you are looking for. I'm more into hand tools and that's very hit or miss, about 99% miss. There is a good amount of complete crap there overall, many of them I would classify as junk dealers. But as was said, anything good will be gone early so you have to be an early bird.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I've also seen alot of stuff at the "tool tent" priced at or above what it is at Home Depot...so know what you're buying.

TimRice

New User
Tim
Thanks for the replies and feedback.

I'm not overly interested in larger power tools at this point since I don't have the shop space for them yet.

I'm more interested in hand tools. The advice to know the value of the tools before going to the market is well taken. I should have realized that there would be 'new' tools for sale as well as old. :slap:

Hope everyone had a safe Halloween! Now my task is to keep my mitts out of the kids loot!! :eusa_whis

Mavawreck07

New User
Andrew
I dont know if you are familiar with the Daniel Boone strip center in Hillsboro but they have several antique/junk stores in there that I have picked up tools at from time to time. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get there from chapel hill, I take the allan and sons exit off 40. You can find some pretty good deals from time to time, if nothing else waste an afternoon poking around. Are you looking for anything in particular? New or old?

Andrew

TimRice

New User
Tim
:eyeslam:

I was talking to my Mother last weekend when I picked up my kids after their ritualistic day of spoiling :eusa_doh:, and it turns out that she has a chest "full of old tools" that her Great Grandfather (a cabinetmaker by trade no less) used to use. It was burried under a bunch of other old stuff in her garage so I couldn't get to it at the time. So,I'm going to go on a scavenger hunt this weekend to see what's in there.

My guess is that most, if not all, the tools will be too old to actually use. Right now I'm more interested in them for the family history they represent, and general curiosity.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
TimRice said:
:eyeslam:

chest "full of old tools" that her Great Grandfather (a cabinetmaker by trade no less) used to use. It was burried under a bunch of other old stuff in her garage so I couldn't get to it at the time. So,I'm going to go on a scavenger hunt this weekend to see what's in there.

My guess is that most, if not all, the tools will be too old to actually use.

The old planes and stuff are probably actually better than many new planes. Spend some time tuning them up, and you may have a tool worth big money, as well as sentimental value.

My paternal grandfather was a carpenter, in the days when they didn't specialize, and built houses from the ground up, framing, siding, roofing, cabinetry and finish work, too. My father has some of his old planes, and other tools. A little rusty, but the old Stanley's still shave nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS