Looking for Tool Rests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wkendturner

New User
Tim
Just parked my Jet 1442 (now for sale) and slide a new 1642 in it's place, realized this morning that 'bout half of my tool rest collection are to short .... the 1" diameter is the same.

Are there any members here that make and sell custom tool rests?

I haven't sourced tool rests for years, any recommendations of retail suppliers?

Thanks,
Tim Boger

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I was able to get an adapter that raised some of my old rests. Jet has a common size (unlike my lathe) and may be easier to source.

LB75

George
Hmm, watching this thread. I'm taking delivery of a Nova Super Comet II tomorrow and now I'm wondering if the rests I've been using with my Jet mini are going to fit.

Wkendturner

New User
Tim
I was able to get an adapter that raised some of my old rests. Jet has a common size (unlike my lathe) and may be easier to source.

Interesting thought, if you remember the source of the adapter you bought I'd like to know more. In the meantime I'll be looking online.

Thanks
Tim

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Tim, I knew someone would ask the source and should have included an answer. I had a deluxe Craftsman lathe that used 7/8" posts and got an adapter through Sears.

You're not the first person to need this so I suspect there are commercial versions out there that fit your posts. I also recall someone adding extensions to rests and fabricating new posts. I think it depends on what resources are available to you.

A quick search will probably bring up better ideas than I can think of.

Wkendturner

New User
Tim
Hi ... I have found a good bit of info so far, there is always something available through Penn State and similar retail
venders ... I appreciate your suggestions.

Tim

Tim, I knew someone would ask the source and should have included an answer. I had a deluxe Craftsman lathe that used 7/8" posts and got an adapter through Sears.

You're not the first person to need this so I suspect there are commercial versions out there that fit your posts. I also recall someone adding extensions to rests and fabricating new posts. I think it depends on what resources are available to you.

A quick search will probably bring up better ideas than I can think of.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Got access to a welder and power hack saw? Cut 1" drill rod for posts, and add some angle, or bar stock for rest surface.

ck1999

Chris
User
I agree with Bruce.

My rest on my jet lathe broke. I bought some drill rod from local welding shop. Had someone weld it together to make a T. We made a few different lengths. Cheaper than online.

Chris

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Klingspors has a variety of rests in stock. Thinking about buying a new one for my Jet mini vs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors