Looking for Suggestions: Metal/Wood attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
My mother-in-law wants me to try and attach this metal cross to the wood cross below so she can hang it on the wall. Trying to figure out the best way to do that. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• 4941CB55-48D4-4218-AFB1-9107E99E81C1.jpg
    4941CB55-48D4-4218-AFB1-9107E99E81C1.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 159
  • D3801872-27E7-4AE7-9C9C-740761EE268D.jpg
    D3801872-27E7-4AE7-9C9C-740761EE268D.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 164

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Is there anything on the back of the cross to attach to? Two option come to mind. 1) create a recess for it to tightly press into, or use wedges to lock in place. 2) simple approach.... use CA glue

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nothing really on the back to attach too. Thought about cutting a groove for it to sit and the glue it in. Haven’t figured out a good way to do the groove

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I think I would drill counter sunk holes through the cross, back to front, drill and tap matching holes in the back of the metal, and use machine screws to attach the two pieces. I can't see how big the cross is, but I'm going to guess 8-24 screws would be sufficient. Just use an 8-24 bottom tap to thread it so that you don't have to drill too deep a blind hole in the metal part.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just don’t have a tap set. It’s about a 1/4” wide by about 1/2” tall metal

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Then I suggest 6-32 screws. This bottom tap from Amazon is only $5.99. You don't need a full set (unless you just want one, and can find a set of bottom taps in a set. A t-handle tap wrench can be had for about the same price at about any Ace Hardware. You'd also need the correct size drill bit for 6-32 machine screws, which you can research with google. If you are looking for a free solution, it would tough for anyone who doesn't know what you do and don't have.

I'm sure there are any number of other ways to approach this, but the suggestion I made was just what I'd do for a secure attachment.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Then I suggest 6-32 screws. This bottom tap from Amazon is only $5.99. You don't need a full set (unless you just want one, and can find a set of bottom taps in a set. A t-handle tap wrench can be had for about the same price at about any Ace Hardware. You'd also need the correct size drill bit for 6-32 machine screws, which you can research with google. If you are looking for a free solution, it would tough for anyone who doesn't know what you do and don't have.

I'm sure there are any number of other ways to approach this, but the suggestion I made was just what I'd do for a secure attachment.

You would need more than just a bottom tap as bottom taps do not have the starter threads one needs to get the tap started initially. Bottom taps are meant to follow behind a starter tap for those occasions where you need threads to nearly the bottom of a blind bolt hole. So two taps would be required. Though, in fairness, one really does not require threads all the way to the bottom of the bolt hole as you really only need a couple threads to engage to reliably secure such a light static load, so I would expect the starter tap alone to very likely suffice.

But there are some other options as well. The simplest would be to simply allow it to hang on the wooden cross using its original hanger loop. Another would be to just epoxy it to the wooden cross using a thin bead of epoxy to avoid squeeze out. Or a few small holes could be drilled in pairs (on each side of a section of cross) to accommodate a very thin wire (such as #36-28 gauge), ideally at more concealed points, to effectively tie the metal cross to the wooden cross at multiple points, which also has the advantage of being 100% reversible and requires no alterations to be made to the original cross should one ever wish to restore it back to its original state in the future (such fine wire is difficult to see from any distance away, especially if wire of a similar color is chosen).

Or we could be merciful and pull the nails and let Christ down for once (perhaps in time to enjoy Christmas, which seems fitting), then reuse the nail holes to nail the cross to, well, the cross. ;)

Regardless, I wish you all the best on your project and would love for you to upload photos of your finished project when done.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Five minute epoxy. Scuff both mating surfaces, mix the epoxy, affix together. Done!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Robert, my farm is about 15 minutes from Apex. If you'd like to stop by, I'll be happy to drill and thread that for you. IT probably won't take 15 minutes, if that.

Bolting the cross to the wood is really the best solution for your application. CA is not great on metal, and epoxy is not ideal either.

I'll send you a pm with my contact info.

Scott

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The wooden cross appears to be finished in some way so you may have to sand or rough up the 1/4" w areas where the metal will attach for a good bond if gluing. Also, scuff up the back faces of the metal cross. My opinion: epoxy will be better than CA glue for this.

Once done, the whole assembly will not be subject to dings, bangs, forces, etc so it doesn't have to be like Fort Knox.

Scenario 2: The 2 crosses fall apart so route/hand chisel a 1/4" groove for the metal cross and reglue!

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I'd probably drill a few 1/16"–1/8" holes in the metal cross into which I'd glue short pieces of thin aluminum rod as pins that stick out 1/4"–1/2" and correspond to holes drilled in the wood. The additional mechanical connection would assist CA/epoxy glue strength given the subtle thermal and humidity differences and expansion between the wood and metal. No tap needed. scsmith42's offer is a better solution, but I think glued un-threaded metal pins would hold fine if you can't make it to his amazing shop.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Using a threaded connection is the elegant selection, but I'd also vote for Steve's idea of simple pins.

Here's my out-of-the-box suggestion: use wire staples (the thick old-fashioned kind used for attaching romex to studs) to 'nail' the metal cross to the wooden base. It's aesthetically on theme (IMO).

From a construction perspective, I'd drill pilot holes, insert the ends of the staples and cinch the ends on the back of the wooden cross.

-Mark

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Any chance it is magnetic? If so, just sink some small rare earth magnets into the wood. A fancy pin in the top loop would keep it from sliding down.If not, epoxy small ones to the cross and bury ones deeper in the wood to allow both magnets to be in the wood. If you wanted to raise the cross off the wood a little, it could be done by adjusting the holes for the magnets.

Go

cpw

New User
Charles
I think I would drill counter sunk holes through the cross, back to front, drill and tap matching holes in the back of the metal, and use machine screws to attach the two pieces. I can't see how big the cross is, but I'm going to guess 8-24 screws would be sufficient. Just use an 8-24 bottom tap to thread it so that you don't have to drill too deep a blind hole in the metal part.

This is basically what I was going to suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS