Looking for source(s) for cabinet-grade plywood near Raleigh

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
WOW!

3/4" 4'x8' ply... hardwoodstore... $160, $94, $109....etc.

I know Lowes/HD aren't close to the above grades, from hardwoodstore, but g'damn! Maybe if I was building something for commission work, but for shop projects...

Phillip Mitchell

Phillip
User
Hard to say based on the lack of details (grades not mentioned) if folks are comparing apples to apples in terms of plywood quality and prices from one place to the next. There is a large difference in quality (and price and appearance) between A-1 PS (plain sawn) walnut and something like C-2 RC (rotary cut) walnut with perhaps an inferior core with less plys.

You typically get what you pay for with plywood pricing, short of the crazy inflation and potential price gouging that has been happening some places as of late, but you really can’t have this conversation accurately and fairly without spec’ing grades and details. The places that sell to mostly commercial accounts will typically have slightly higher prices because the quality of the material and grades sold are higher than more consumer type sales where the demand for such a grade or product is not as prevalent.

I am not in the Raleigh area, but get my ply from Catawba Hardwoods in the Marion area. They will deliver any amount of sheets for $35 to my house and have great and competitive pricing and a decent selection of ply grades, but not quite the spread of options that Wurth advertises.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I use to get wholesale pretty much at 50% of retail prices. Then the construction industry took off and wholesale prices went up so far, they started equaling retail. It appears the retail guys woke up late, as they don’t really supply the big guys.

The last time I needed 8/4 Walnut, retail was $8:50 with wholesale around $11.00.

I ended up buying retail, which was a big mistake. The quality is not comparable, I ended up getting around 50% yield, the rest was throw away.

My last 3/4 B2 clear domestic Maple ply was around $85 a sheet. Use to be $62.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I generally stay mute on a lot of these posts about pricing due to the fact that there are so many things that need to be compared equally. One of the most difficult items to keep a price sheet on is ply. Plywood is much more difficult to compare than lumber. Numerous things to consider, A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4, B-2, B-3, B-4 plus all those in C and D grades. Cores, MDF, Poplar veneer, fir cores? Domestic or import? West coast manufacture or east coast? Is it a 1 time press where they lay up the cores, face and back veneers in 1 press or are they a calibrated core where the core is laid up, sanded then the face and back veneers laid up then sanded again. It all changes pricing. The competition for logs both plywood manufactures and sawmills have driven costs of poplar and maple quite high. I'm selling cherry to cabinet shops where they are painting it because it is cheaper than maple. That just shows the demand on particular products. Some distributors have higher operating costs than others. Next is a lot of manufactures have buyers on allocation right now. Columbia forest products is one. They can not produce what is being demanded and that brings the cost up, putting buyers on allocation on how much and how often they can buy drives costs up. Transportation costs have gone up so that has added to the costs. I typically buy $10-18k worth of ply a month and I struggle to get what I need due to availability. Every month I order ply the price has gone up to some degree or just isn't available. Some distributors may have a cheaper price since it was last months order they have in inventory and the other supplier might have just received a trailer load where the price has gone up.

If you are only needing a few sheets, try calling some cabinet shops to see if they have some over ordered material they would be willing to sell. Most shops only bring in what they need so that they do not have to carry inventory. Inventory is very expensive. Money out the door instantly and then waiting for buyers to replenish it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS