Looking for someone to plane 19" oak board in Jacksonville NC area

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostwarden

New User
Ben
I have a white Oak board that I had rough cut at the saw mill. It's 19" wide by 53" long. Just wondering if someone has a board planer they could let me use for about 5-10 minutes or if there is a shop I can take it to get it done in the Jacksonville NC area.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I think Scott Smith ( scsmith42 or the like) has such a planer- don't know your radius of interest. Could pm him. Don't forget hand planing or router sled as an option. The New Bern area members may know a closer option.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
If you cannot find someone with a 20" planer, I would suggest you find someone locally with a wide drum or belt sander and do as I did with a 22" wide 8/4 slab of Bubinga and use the sander to smooth out the surfaces. My slab was over 9' long and it took two of us to manhandle it. The sander was a dual drum 35" wide sander with 80 grit on the infeed drum and 120 grit on the second drum. While not designed as a thickness device, we sanded this 250# beast to 120 grit after about 20 passes on each side (obviously taking very sparse passes each time). I took this picture while my woodworking colleague was feeding this pass.

100_3397.jpg

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
If you cannot find someone with a 20" planer, I would suggest you find someone locally with a wide drum or belt sander and do as I did with a 22" wide 8/4 slab of Bubinga and use the sander to smooth out the surfaces. My slab was over 9' long and it took two of us to manhandle it. The sander was a dual drum 35" wide sander with 80 grit on the infeed drum and 120 grit on the second drum. While not designed as a thickness device, we sanded this 250# beast to 120 grit after about 20 passes on each side (obviously taking very sparse passes each time). I took this picture while my woodworking colleague was feeding this pass.

100_3397.jpg

Pretty Sneaky - 'I'll get the camera, you get the wood...' :rotflm:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I was on the end that entered the sander about 15 seconds before I moved behind the unit to grab my camera and snap this shot. After we finished sanding this, we lugged it over to the sliding tablesaw in the background of the pic above and ripped a straight edge. Here is another shot I took as the slab entered the sander (note the rough area away from the camera) and then one of the finished product for a client.

100_3400.jpg

100_3479.jpg

lostwarden

New User
Ben
Thanks very much for your advice gentlemen. I wish I did know somebody with a thickness sander that I had access too. I'd be using it for sure with other projects.

As for the hand tools suggestion, I just got a Craftsman #5 Jack Plane that I believe was manufactured by Miller Falls. I sharpened it, and flattened the sole, and I may have done something wrong as I cant get the plane to shave like I see on the Paul Sellers videos.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Too bad test you are not closer. I can edge joint to 16", face joint up to 25", and plane up to 72" wide. WBS is only a 37" though...

Scott

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Call Ivey Pridgen in Burgaw (about 34 miles from Jacksonville). He's a sawyer and member of NCWW. I don't know what he has for milling your slab.

Beaver Branch Portable Sawmill
sawing up to 24 ft. long
Ivey Pridgen
Burgaw,N.C.
(910) 259-4777
(910) 540-0705

lostwarden

New User
Ben
Thanks everyone again for helping out. I ended up buying a harbor freight planer, drill master. I must admit that it did a decent job planing, but I still have more work to do on it.

More importantly, I got the Miller Falls Jack Plane I bought back to its former luster. I had a piece of bloodwood that I tried it on, and it planed it just as pretty as you ever saw. It also showed pine who was truly in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS