Looking for Someone To Make Me A Benchcrafted Roubo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
I have drastically downsized my shop recently and am moving to an all hand tool setup. I would really like a Benchcrafted Roubo with all of the bells and whistles. I also would like the full benchtop moxon vise that they have on their website. The problem is I no longer have the machinery to make it in a reasonable time frame. Is there anyone in the Charlotte NC area or somewhere nearby that has the skills and time to make the bench for me? I am definitely willing to pay a reasonable price for it.

Kind Regards,
Dan

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My mistake.

I thought I had seen them for sale. I checked out Lie-Nielsen too, thought they had a bench with Benchcrafted hardware. Not even close.

So, now I don't have a clue where I saw those for sale. Maybe a private craftsman? Will keep looking.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I am not sure the following words/phrases go together:

"Benchcrafted, Roubo, Reasonable price, Make it for me" (Kind of like "cheap, fast, right")

That probably isn't a very useful response. It looks like you will spend about $1000 for the hardware alone. Then all the wood needs to be purchased and of course the time to construct it. I would expect the cost of something like this to be in the $3000 range. I could be way off. Good luck!

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Ran across a 2009 thread on the Benchcraft blog site where they were selling a 7' Demo bench at the end of a show. It was about $3,200.

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
I think that I may go the Sjobergs Elite or Lie-Nielsen route. I got a quote from Plate11 and its a bit higher than I expected. Somewhere in the 3k range works for me. Plate 11 wants 4,500 plus more for some of the bells and whistles. I think that is a bit out of my range at the moment. $1,500 could get me some new hand tools that I am looking at.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I would think that many of our active members could construct one of these benches themselves in less time than they typically need to turn out any of the beautiful pieces of furniture found in the NCWW galleries.

If I'm right, wouldn't it make sense to note the features and materials of the bench you want and simply make your own (or commission one from a member)?

No one here can make a Powermatic Table Saw or Laguna Band Saw. We have to buy them if we want those features. But ... a workbench?

I'm sure I'm missing something. (Not trying to pick a fight in any way, btw.)

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
I definitely think that someone could build one. I am basically looking for something similar to the model that Benchcrafted has on their website. I could make my own if I still had the equipment to complete the task in a month or so part time. At the current point in time I would have to do the entire thing by hand and that would take me forever, especially because I don't have a bench to start building it with.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I have drastically downsized my shop recently and am moving to an all hand tool setup. I would really like a Benchcrafted Roubo with all of the bells and whistles. I also would like the full benchtop moxon vise that they have on their website. The problem is I no longer have the machinery to make it in a reasonable time frame. Is there anyone in the Charlotte NC area or somewhere nearby that has the skills and time to make the bench for me? I am definitely willing to pay a reasonable price for it.

Kind Regards,
Dan

PM sent

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
One option you may throw out to anyone interested is to buy the lumber/hardware for 2 benches and let them keep the other one. If I were to go to all the effort required to make ONE of these I don't think I could part with it. But if someone had the time and a buyer could furnish the materials I would think it would be a win -win IMHO. You could even do like my dad says his mom did them with sharing an apple. One brother would halve the apple and the other would choose which half he wanted............

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I don't know if it helps but I did plans for Jeff Miller's Benchcrafted bench. there's a digital version of the plan that includes the SketchUp model which could be handy if you need to modify it for length or height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS