looking for small pine or cedar logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkane25

New User
Rick
[FONT=&quot]I'm looking for relatively thin pine or cedar logs (raw, not milled), to make at least one kiva (wood log) ladder, (for example, see http://www.grandriverdoor.com/grs/kivaLadders.aspx) and some drum stands. I'll need eight foot logs at about 3 1/2 or 4 inches diameter for posts, and a little smaller, around 2 1/2 inch diameter for rungs. I live in Raleigh (none of my own trees to cut) -- anyone know of a source? Thanks! ... Rick[/FONT]

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Check with Jack, saw4you, in Rolesville and see what he has on hand. I got a small cedar log from him a month ago for a project I'm working on. I also got a Juniper trunk from him in the size you're looking at if that would work as an alternative. I'm not sure whether he's got any small pine at all but hook up with him and ask. When I picked up what I got the cedar he had was a little bigger at the butt than what you're looking for, but depending on your time frame he could probably come up with the size you need.

Check Raleigh CL for his lumber ads and you can get his phone # from there and give him a call. Search for jack rolesville under materials and you'll find his ads. Super nice dude to work with and he's only about 30 min from Raleighwood. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

HTH,
Brian.

rikkane25

New User
Rick
[FONT=&quot]I'm looking for relatively thin pine or cedar logs (raw, not milled), to make at least one kiva (wood log) ladder, (for example, see http://www.grandriverdoor.com/grs/kivaLadders.aspx) and some drum stands. I'll need eight foot logs at about 3 1/2 or 4 inches diameter for posts, and a little smaller, around 2 1/2 inch diameter for rungs. I live in Raleigh (none of my own trees to cut) -- anyone know of a source? Thanks! ... Rick[/FONT]
Thanks Scott, please do let me know when you thin your pine.

I looked at your web site, very cool, and will get in touch with you about your wood for another another project I just started -- a cedar strip canoe, for which I've planned to use mostly western red cedar, plus some Southern white (Capital City Lumber advertises "A&Better" grade clear western red). I'll need 15 to 18 foot lengths, which I will cut to 3/4 x 1/4 inch strips, very straight and clear.

Thanks again -- Rick 991-247-3274

TBradley190

New User
Tim
I have some pine tier poles from a tobacco barn that average about 3". If you look at the staircase in my gallery, you can see what they look like finished. I have plenty, so if your interested, come get what you need.

Tim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks Scott, please do let me know when you thin your pine.

I looked at your web site, very cool, and will get in touch with you about your wood for another another project I just started -- a cedar strip canoe, for which I've planned to use mostly western red cedar, plus some Southern white (Capital City Lumber advertises "A&Better" grade clear western red). I'll need 15 to 18 foot lengths, which I will cut to 3/4 x 1/4 inch strips, very straight and clear.

Thanks again -- Rick 991-247-3274

Rick, feel free to drop me an e-mail. For 15' - 18' lengths of cedar, I would need to get some logs and mill them specifically for you, as boards this long are not common. The problem is that ERC is rarely clear, in this instance you may be better off obtaining the WRC.

If I were you, I'd give Tim a call and take him up on his offer for the tobacco barn poles. These have the advantage of already being dry; anything that you get green will shrink and crack as it dries, (plus you will have the sticky sap to deal with). You're still welcome to some trees, it just struck me that Tim's offer is the best option for you.

Thx.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS