Looking for Router Lift advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
A while back I picked up one of the Hitachi M12V routers with the intent of putting it a router table, which I haven't yet built. Nope, I didn't put up any pictures for a gloat, is there any official time limit for a new tool gloat?

I've been thinking of one of the Woodpecker lifts for my new, yet unbuilt router table.

It looks like I'll either need to go with the Plungelift or the Unilift. I can see that the Unilft is probably a little better since it lifts from both sides. Does anyone have any experience with the two. There's $100 difference in the price!

Thanks ahead for any comments.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Martin,

I am too pondering the thought of a router lift although I keep going back to the woodpecker site. Maybe they just do a better job of advertising and promoting their product, but now I will look at the ones you mentioned.

Thanks

Tracy

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
hey Martin I cant help you on either of those lifts but I id just get the precision lift and a PC 7518 in mine and it sems like quality stuf If you wanted to come look at mine I am in Lewisville

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Martin,

I am too pondering the thought of a router lift although I keep going back to the woodpecker site. Maybe they just do a better job of advertising and promoting their product, but now I will look at the ones you mentioned.

Thanks

Tracy
Both the Plungelift and the Unilift are made by Woodpecker.

I have a Hitachi M12V mounted to a Plungelift. I have been happy with it. I'm not sure what advantage the Unilift really gets you but I never did an in-depth comparison of the two (the price difference was enough for me). I did modify the M12V as described on this site: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/ (click on the "main menu" link just below the Google ad, look for the router and router table section and click on the links for the M12V).

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Please help me understand why I should buy a $250 for a lift when I can get a mounting plate for $50.00 All I am doing is changing bits. I can make fine adjustments with the long "T" handle allen wrench that came with the router and is made to use for router table adjustments.

Am I missing something here?

titan04

New User
Josh
Please help me understand why I should buy a $250 for a lift when I can get a mounting plate for $50.00 All I am doing is changing bits. I can make fine adjustments with the long "T" handle allen wrench that came with the router and is made to use for router table adjustments.

You aren't missing anything if you can access it from the top side...

A lift will help you do it all more easily and precisely... Most of us just have them because that is what the cool kids do :cool:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

I'm with you John. $$$ for table, lift & router will buy a nice shaper!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
A while back I picked up one of the Hitachi M12V routers with the intent of putting it a router table, which I haven't yet built. Nope, I didn't put up any pictures for a gloat, is there any official time limit for a new tool gloat?

I've been thinking of one of the Woodpecker lifts for my new, yet unbuilt router table.

It looks like I'll either need to go with the Plungelift or the Unilift. I can see that the Unilft is probably a little better since it lifts from both sides. Does anyone have any experience with the two. There's $100 difference in the price!

Thanks ahead for any comments.
I have had both, both are good:thumbs_up

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Nope, you are not missing a thing. If it works for you that is all that matters.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I do it just like the router guys on the woodworking channel, easy fast and very cheap:jiggy:

just pick it up and set it on top of the router table:icon_thum

router_lift_2.jpg

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Earl that is exactly how I intend to do it, if I ever get to building a router table! the height adjustment will be whatever method comes on the tool. but, hey, those guys on the router workshop have SEVERAL routers set up on their table.... so how many do you have???

Badabing

New User
Joe
I have the QuickLift from Woodpeckers in my router table. I think I got it at WoodCraft on sale for about $215 last year. I'm very happy with it! I use a PC 690 router in it so I had to buy a reducer collar. I'm sure it would work just as well with a larger router (like the PC 7518), it is very sturdy.

I had a Jessem router lift before this and it wasn't nearly as sturdy and precise. Besides, the quicklift mechanism is awesome! I use my router table all the time and love to be able to just twist and lift to raise or lower the router a large distance.

Hope that helps!

KC7CN

New User
Don
hey Martin I cant help you on either of those lifts but I id just get the precision lift and a PC 7518 in mine and it seems like quality stuff If you wanted to come look at mine I am in Lewisville

This is what I have! Many of the new routers designed for above-the-table height adjustment were not available when I bought my system. I was determined to have a router table with a dedicated router, and selected the PC 7518 based on Pat Warner's recommendation. As I recall, I paid $248 for the router, and a bit more for the lift.

Yes, this is a lot of money, but the end result is a thing of beauty and a joy forever! The Woodpecker lift is one of the nicest pieces of equipment I have ever purchased for the shop. The height indicator dial (small black circle in the picture) makes it very easy to tweak the adjustment: 1/16'' for a full revolution, 0.002'' per graticule.

-Don

PS. You can't have this setup unless you're 62 years old.:gar-Cr

Bonecarver

New User
Bonecarver
Dude, I don't have a ton of space so I bought the bench cast iron table 2 years ago and had a ***** of a time getting bits on and off. Because my birthday and christmas day are one in the same and I can work that angle with my old man (Who is a cabinet maker) I convinced him I needed the Bench Dog Prolift. It is not digital or as nice as the wood pecker lift. But it is a rock steady brute, with easy controls, and easy set up. I have it attached to my Ridgid contractors saw and it gives me lots of space saving qualities and an extra miter slot on the saw (like I ever use it). Hope this helps!

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
I saw this thread at work and decided to put my MV12 and matching Plungelift up for sale on the Ol' NCWW when I got home and had time to take some pictures.

I've not used it, and don't plan on so might as well offer them up for sale when folks are chatting 'em up.

See the forsale section for more details.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors