Looking for QS Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdanforth

New User
Jon
Does anyone know of a Raleigh/Durham local resource for quartersawn walnut? I'm also interested in other QS hardwoods (but not oak!).

jdanforth

New User
Jon
Oops, I might have put this in the wrong forum. I apologize if I did. Mod, would you move it to For Sale/Wanted if you deem it necessary?

Jon

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
there was a fellow on craiglist with a quite lot of walnut for sale. Someone posted it here within the past day or so. not sure if it was qs though. jack (saw4you on this forum) may also be a worth a try, and for other hardwoods as well.

Sam

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Not mine , but if anyone form Winston is heading up, give me a shout. I need some banjo material.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/for/2234818547.html

Rough Cut Lumber For Sale (Lawsonville, NC)

Date: 2011-02-25, 6:53PM EST
Reply to: see below

ROUGH CUT, AIR DRYED LUMBER FOR SALE: WALNUT, CEDAR, CHERRY, AMBROSIA MAPLE. FIFTY CENT PER FOOT. CALL 336-593-9408.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2234818547

If this is the post you recall, I spoke with the gentleman last night.
I'm planning to get up there tomorrow or Thursday.
I'll be happy to make a pick up for you if he has any QS.
Unfortunately I'll be driving a van so there are limits to capacity.
So far I'm getting some cedar for myself and hopefully some cherry and maple for Mark G's banjo.
If anyone in the W-S area has a flexible schedule and a truck we could be more ambitious.

Just let me know

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
You're not too late.
I'm waiting to hear from him when he'll be available.
Should be tomorrow.
What would you like me to look out for- dimension and qty wise?

I've heard through the grapevine that someone else had been there and he has nice wood, well stickered and cared for. No word on quarter sawn or not.

Steve

jdanforth

New User
Jon
Cool! My parts are 5.5x6.5" so I need 6+ inch wide boards at least 7 inches long. Anything longer than 7 inches is fine by me. Grain must be clear and QS. Let me know what he says, maybe we can meet up before you go so I can give you some lumber/gas money?

Jon

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Jonathan-
Thanks for offering, but we can settle up on the back end.
How many of those parts are you looking to make?

I'm hoping to hear from the source today. If not it looks like it will be Saturday.
Maybe we can meet up around Burlington or somewhere around halfway.
I wouldn't mind coming to Durham to see your shop.
I like what I see on your website.

Steve

jdanforth

New User
Jon
I think that a 2-3 QS boards that are 4/4, 6+ inches wide, and 5+ feet long will be sufficient for my needs. Here are some lousy photos of the parts I'm making: they're clamshell cases for daguerreotype photographs. This particular one was cut from some ancient, horrible walnut. LOL!

http://www.shinyphotos.com/pics/photo.JPG
http://www.shinyphotos.com/pics/photo(2).JPG

Thanks for the compliment! I'd be happy to show you "my" shop. I work out of TechShop RDU (www.techshoprdu.com) so I have all kinds of toys. :-D

jdanforth

New User
Jon
An employee at Klingspor's gave me a good idea. If the guy you're visiting has 7" or longer cutoff logs then I could resaw them myself on the band saw!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
John- unfortunately no logs just a lot of 4/4 lumber.
None was quarter sawn, and he didn't sound familiar with the term so I let it drop.
I figured if he had it I'd see it and grab some.
no dice. I'd still like to visit the Tech Shop, I'll let you know when I'm headed that way.

Mark-
I picked up 17 feet of cherry and 15 feet of walnut.
I picked the best I could, if it won't serve your purposes I'll find a use for it.
Unfortunately nothing over 4/4 for your banjo neck.
other than a big chunk of maple about 6 x 8 x 9' long- should be able to get a few necks out of that
I left it there for you!

Let me know when you want to get to get together, and I'll bring it by.

Steve

jdanforth

New User
Jon
I'm not sure if I should find it so hilarious that the guy who owns the sawmill doesn't know what quarter-sawn means! :rolf:

Thanks VERY much for checking it out for me. The quest continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS