Looking for plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PrplHrtJarHead

Since I'm new to this, I hope this isn't out of line.

I'm looking for plans for a good size curio cabinet as well as a jewelry box with drawers and that has one or more necklace hangers.

If anyone has any plans like this, preferably having built from those plans, I'd be real interested in seeing them. Or if anyone knows a particular issue of a magazine that may help me out, I'll take that too.

I have a couple of plans but the items are kind of dated. They don't really hold that timeless quality and look very much like "trendy" stuff from the late 70's to mid 80's. That's all I could really find on the web.:-(

Thanks to all. :icon_thum

PrplHrtJarHead

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You are totally in line with your question. That is one of the many purposes of this site. You might start by check the download library, there are many plans there, I don't know if any would suit you. I have a great book by Doug Stowe on boxes, that I am planning to make my wife a jewelry box out of. I would be willing to lend it to you. Rockler has many plans for purchase on-line as does Plans Now and many other sites, if you are inclined to buy one. I will check my magazine stash to see if I have anything in there. Any more details on the style of curio cabinet you are interested in, could help to narrow the search. Also I am sure that others will chime in very soon. Dave:)

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Thanks DaveO. For the book, if you can give me the title, I'll check the library here. In terms of the style, nothing really specific. I am trying to look at as much as possible, but at the same time, trying to keep it on the simpler side of things. I am not ready for the complicated or the intricate just yet. So in effect I guess that would bring the style to Country or maybe Early American. But as far as style goes, I am also pretty ignernt8-O. I really couldn't name something to a style if I were put on the spot.:eusa_thin I looked at Rockler and will have to check plans now.

Thanks. PHJ

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The book's title is "Creating Beautiful Boxes w/ Inlay Techniques" by Doug Stowe, there are 4 different style jewelry boxes at the end of it. Loaning it to you wouldn't be any problem, in case you can find it at the library. Another thought is a place like Borders, it is almost a library. I go in there, find something that interests me and just read it for a while. I like to find my inspiration for projects from books etc. and then come up with my own plans. That way what it turns out to be, is what you meant it to be. Plus it is a great way to think through the jointery and part sizing, plus if you're like me you end up with lots of extra wood, just an inch too short, that can be used later. Think of it as a way to start a wood collection. Dave:)

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Thanks. I'll see if I can find the book, then get back to you.

I'm with you on the plans. I look at something, then figure out what I'd change, simplify or otherwise. Most of the time, what I see is not what I want in terms of dimension, so I end up tinkering with the changes to dimension quite a bit. Thus, my scrap wood collection is pretty extensive for a newbie like myself.

PHJ

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Here's a plan that I just ran across, that looks simple enough to do. No complicated moulding, or fancy jointery, just simple, sturdy Craftsman style. You've probably seen it already, it was an easy Google search. But you can take this basic prinicple and make it what ever you want.

http://www.plansnow.com/craftcurio.html
Dave:)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
PrpHrt thereis a pic in my Gallery of 2 Jewelry boxes made from Rockler plans. As far as the Curio Cabinet there was one a few yrs back in wood Mag so you might run a search there. good luck with your projects:icon_thum

P

PrplHrtJarHead

DaveO said:
Here's a plan that I just ran across, that looks simple enough to do. No complicated moulding, or fancy jointery, just simple, sturdy Craftsman style. You've probably seen it already, it was an easy Google search. But you can take this basic prinicple and make it what ever you want.

http://www.plansnow.com/craftcurio.html
Dave:)

Yeah, I checked this one out earlier after you sent me to the site. I like that one a lot and already learned something. "Crafstman" is not just a tool! Go Figure. I am thinking I will probably mod this one a bit and run with it.

Thanks again.

P

PrplHrtJarHead

golfdad said:
PrpHrt thereis a pic in my Gallery of 2 Jewelry boxes made from Rockler plans. As far as the Curio Cabinet there was one a few yrs back in wood Mag so you might run a search there. good luck with your projects:icon_thum

golfdad...thanks for the heads up. These are fantastic, nice job. When I was at Rockler ealier, I didn't even look at jewelry boxes, duh!!! Were they simple or would a beginner type have difficulty with them?

The curio is the priority, but in case I don't finish it, :)BangHead:) I need to have something on standby or it'll be a long, cold winter on the couch.

PHJ

P

PrplHrtJarHead

gator said:
Here is the first of four or five pix in my gallery of a jewelry armoire. I have the plans and can copy them for you if you want.

http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1310

George

First let me say you did a super job on this armoire, it looks great.

I would absolutely like to get a copy of the plans from you. Send me a PM and let me know what you need from me.

It looks a little challenging, but it is a project that I will probably learn a lot from.

Thank you so much.

PHJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS