Looking for planer service

Status
Not open for further replies.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Hi All!
I'm looking for a place to take ~1000bf of fir/pine for surface planing. I recently came across a great deal on some old gym bleacher seats and need to have the lacquer/poly finish removed. Would like the location to be within 30-100miles of Durham - I can drop off and pick up. Would like to get the job completed in 30-60 days. Any suggestions/leads would be greatly appreciated!
Happy 4th!!
Best
Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might try the NC Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. Or East Wake Hardwoods in Wendel, both are listed in our Wood Suppliers list under "Where Are?" in the top menu bar.
Dave:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Hi All!
I'm looking for a place to take ~1000bf of fir/pine for surface planing. I recently came across a great deal on some old gym bleacher seats and need to have the lacquer/poly finish removed. Would like the location to be within 30-100miles of Durham - I can drop off and pick up. Would like to get the job completed in 30-60 days. Any suggestions/leads would be greatly appreciated!
Happy 4th!!
Best
Wayne

Wayne------good luck with that. Having worked for a millwork company, I know they usually do not like to "recycle" wood. Do not be surprised if you have to pay a surcharge to get it done. Believe it or not that finish is hard on tool steel.:)

Jerry

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
An abrasive planer may be a better way to go. The finish will tear up the knives in aregular planer, any embedded dirt and grime will do a number on the planer. I doubt that you'll find a commercial place around here willing to risk their equipment. A wide belt with 40 or 60 grit paper will also work. Either way, I think it will be expensive.
Back in the dark ages, I used to work for a reclaimed lumber outfit in GA that did that type of work amongst other things. There was an old flat-belt driven contraption thta was used to clean the lumber before planing.

Good luck!
Bernhard

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
An abrasive planer may be a better way to go. The finish will tear up the knives in aregular planer, any embedded dirt and grime will do a number on the planer. I doubt that you'll find a commercial place around here willing to risk their equipment. A wide belt with 40 or 60 grit paper will also work. Either way, I think it will be expensive.
Back in the dark ages, I used to work for a reclaimed lumber outfit in GA that did that type of work amongst other things. There was an old flat-belt driven contraption thta was used to clean the lumber before planing.

Good luck!
Bernhard

you definitely would be better off to go this route and it's a tough task to take that stuff off. i have a customer in TX that refinishes table tops. he burnt up a drum sander in a 6 hrs, i admit i was wrong i told him running it straight he might get 4 before it seized up.

mike's advice on a planer isn't a bad idea, but you'll use a lot of knives and gum up the whole inside of the machine in short order.

the guy's at J & G Machinery could refer you to a local company with a wide belt/abrasive planer to do the job. my customer in tx could with the 2-head 52" machine he eventually bought from me, but he's itn TX.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
all,

generally, what would it cost a bdft to plane 1 inch poplar? have about 1200/1500 bdft to plane soon? just curious if its worth my time to plane all that?!!

thanks
happy fourth!!
dave GO YANKEES!:eusa_danc

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
all,

generally, what would it cost a bdft to plane 1 inch poplar? have about 1200/1500 bdft to plane soon? just curious if its worth my time to plane all that?!!

thanks
happy fourth!!
dave GO YANKEES!:eusa_danc

Planing rates go .25-.45/bf
molding rates range from .35-.65/bf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS