Looking for Phenolic Material for Router Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Anyone know where I can get phenolic (in the Raleigh area) material. Say 3/4" that I could use on a router fence?

I'm guessing some where around 2 1/2" by 24" 2 Pcs. Anyone ever had to cut phenolic material?

Thanks,
~Huck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I used Phenolic impregnated plywood on my router table top and fence, I got it at Woodcraft. You might consider using HDPE, if so I have some that you can have. Contact Yellowfins, he knows of a lot of sources for plastics. Also try Woodcraft, I believe that they have some phenolic in stock.
Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
IF you could use regular formica type laminate instead of phenolic, check the Garner Home Depot. They have a huge cart full of it by the pro desk checkout all marked down to 75% off. You may need to be persistant about the fact that it's 75% off because it's just marked "clearance", but after they finally find a manager who knows his/her backside from a hole in the ground, they'll agree. (I can say this because my wife works there)
Sale priced it's like $11.50/ 4x8 sheet. I got two sheets last night. They have white, light tan, a light brown faux granite and a green faux granite. Most of the sheets are in OK shape. Most have banged up corners or something like that. HD is no longer going to stock sheets of laminate...atleast those in Wake Co.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Several weeks ago I posted about toilet partitions being made from phenolic. Check with some commercial hardware suppliers about damaged pieces. They are 1/2" thick. If everything else fails, take screw driver to bathroom at new Lowes stores, never mind. Forget that last statement.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If Corian will work you can make a very small donation to the Habitat RsStore and get some nice sized pieces there.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Be careful if you use phenolic. First, the phenolic sold by some of the WW retailers is not phenolic, it is ply with the top thinly coated/top ply layer very lightly impregnated with epoxy- not nearly as durable as true phenolic. Second, real phenolic can create hazardous fumes if you cause it to smoke when machining it. True phenolic is made from many layers of epoxy/melamine, etc. soaked linen (or similar filler) cured under high pressure and temp. True phenolic may be hard to find and may be expensive. Its been many years since I bought any but Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells 3/4" for $8o. sq ft. !!!

I would use laminate (Formica, etc.) covered Baltic Birch or mdf. I find HDPE or HMWP to be too subject to expansion warping.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Be careful if you use phenolic. First, the phenolic sold by some of the WW retailers is not phenolic, it is ply with the top thinly coated/top ply layer very lightly impregnated with epoxy- not nearly as durable as true phenolic. Second, real phenolic can create hazardous fumes if you cause it to smoke when machining it. True phenolic is made from many layers of epoxy/melamine, etc. soaked linen (or similar filler) cured under high pressure and temp. True phenolic may be hard to find and may be expensive. Its been many years since I bought any but Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells 3/4" for $8o. sq ft. !!!

Very true. The real stuff is VERY expensive. It will also dull your tool blades/bits quickly. Phenols are not user friendly.

Go

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Thanks for all the input gang!

Hmm. Ok. phenolic is probably out of the question. I think what killed it was the idea that its not that tool workable with the facilities at my disposal.

Sooo. Where would I find 3/4" mdf w/laminate?

I would use laminate (Formica, etc.) covered Baltic Birch or mdf. I find HDPE or HMWP to be too subject to expansion warping.[/quote]

Is true phenolic what they use on the JessEm fences? That material is basically what I was trying to get a hold of.

~Huck

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Pete,
I hate to sound like a broken record but the Habitat ReStore has bunches of cabinet tops, doors and backspashes made of 3/4" MDF/laminate. You will need a good blade to cut it clean (blue tape your cut line, scoring cut ~1/32" then recut full thickness)

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Pete,
I hate to sound like a broken record but the Habitat ReStore has bunches of cabinet tops, doors and backspashes made of 3/4" MDF/laminate. You will need a good blade to cut it clean (blue tape your cut line, scoring cut ~1/32" then recut full thickness)

Are you refering to the Habitat for Humanity store on Hodges St? That may be the deal. I'm really just concerned that is is straight and flat and that I can cut it w/a table saw or at least a circular saw.

I have a preconception of the formica material as coming apart -- you know delaminating at the corners? Maybe tha is because I've not seen good quality formica/mdf laminate. Of course on the other hand, the true phenolic sounds a bit too pricey $80/sq ft.

~Huck

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm not exactly sure where the store is in Raleigh but all of the stores I've visited had gobbs of cabinets, etc. I think you're safe re: delamination, etc. If you want to DIY it, they sometimes have offcuts of laminate sheets, contact adhesive you can attach to MDF.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Are you refering to the Habitat for Humanity store on Hodges St?
~Huck

That would be the one. Also there might still be some laminate on clearance at the Home Despot in Garner off of Timber and Hwy. 70. I found some there very cheap last weekend.

M

McRabbet

Ken Massingale built a beautiful router fence last year using Corian for the faces. Check out this thread. Be sure to review the entire thread as the source of the Corian is revealed in the last post. I'm sure he'd answer any questions you have.

Rob

chris99z71

New User
Chris
That would be the one. Also there might still be some laminate on clearance at the Home Despot in Garner off of Timber and Hwy. 70. I found some there very cheap last weekend.

It's still there! Got my two sheets on Monday and they probably had 40-50 sheets left. At $11.50 each, you can't beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS