Looking for older Tractor to move logs/cut slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayszs

New User
Zack
This might be a bit off topic but I'm looking for an older tractor that would make my life a bit easier moving logs so I can mill them or split for firewood.

Any assistance would be welcomed

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
This might be a bit off topic but I'm looking for an older tractor that would make my life a bit easier moving logs so I can mill them or split for firewood.

Any assistance would be welcomed
A bobcat with solid forks is ideal for log handling.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
You can pick up an old ford 8n fairly cheap. I have one that I use for everything around my house including mowing the grass. They are awesome. Small enough yet powerful. Parts are readily available too.

Red

mayszs

New User
Zack
A bobcat with solid forks is ideal for log handling.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

I'd love to have to have a skid steer but it's hard to justify the cost for what ends up being little more than a hobby for mr.

mayszs

New User
Zack
Any recommendations on where to find them listed?
I've watched craigslist in my area and have yet to see and of the old Fords for sale.
I have found a number of old Farmall Cubs but the narrow front axel would be dicey on my property due to the uneven terrain and multitude of steep inclines and limited maneuvering space.

Danagawa

New User
D
There are a few older tractors around me for sale. U are kinda a long way from me, looks like 3 and a half hours. There is an older guy down the street from me that has been selling all his tools, his truck and his tractor. I don't know much about tractors but he told me that it was a red belly. If u don't mind the drive and have a way to move it and are interested, I could asked him about it and a price and take some pictures.

mayszs

New User
Zack
There are a few older tractors around me for sale. U are kinda a long way from me, looks like 3 and a half hours. There is an older guy down the street from me that has been selling all his tools, his truck and his tractor. I don't know much about tractors but he told me that it was a red belly. If u don't mind the drive and have a way to move it and are interested, I could asked him about it and a price and take some pictures.

For the right piece of equipment at the right price 3-4 hours is no problem, I've driven farther for more rediculus reasons. Depending on the size and weight I can either use my trailer or borrow my neighbors 5th wheel.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You're close to Jacksonville, NC so that's a place to start looking. Here's a place in Burgaw, about 38 miles from Richlands. They have a link to request a free quote.

http://www.nashequipmentcompany.com/used_equipment_1

I have found a number of old Farmall Cubs but the narrow front axel would be dicey on my property due to the uneven terrain and multitude of steep inclines and limited maneuvering space.

How does your description of your property fit coastal NC which should be about as flat as a pancake?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As CrealBilly (Jeff) pointed out, something w/ front forks is much better for moving logs. Otherwise, your only option is to hook a chain to them and snake them out.

If a Bobcat or Skid Steer isn't an option, look for a 4-wheel drive tractor w/ a front loader. You can replace the bucket w/ forks.

mayszs

New User
Zack
A fantastic question. I live in Richlands but have several acres of property in Lenoir county and somehow ended up with the only steep hills in the area.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've heard horror stories about tractors flipping over backwards and killing the driver. At least with solid front forks if you tip forward the fork catch the machine when they hit the ground. Skidders have that big blade on the pulling end for a reason so the machine doesn't flip over and kill someone.

As a matter of fact the best cable skidder I've used was a old farm tractor with home made big blade on the 3 point and a monster 16,000 hydraulic winch. If that tractor couldn't skid the log out of the woods, you weren't going to get the log anyways. The tractor was my buddies back in NC and his creation. I used that tractor a few times and what a beast that thing was and that's how it got its name "the beast". I even skidded big ole sinker oaks out of the tar river with the beast. Right out of the river and up the bank. The only draw back is you have to run the cable out to the logs, cinch it and run back to the beast to start skidding. Kind of time consuming but the beast would get your logs out for you.

When moving big logs with my skidsteer, I spend most of my time on the front two wheels. It took me a couple of brown underwear moments... but now being on the two front wheels don't scare me anymore and I'm actually more comfortable on two wheels than 4 now. Just remember with solid forks go down hill forwards and uphill backwards. Load the skid steer on the trailer backwards and unload it forwards (up hill backwards and down hill forwards) you'll be happy you did after just one time hitting the skid plate on the rear of the skid steer.

Just a word word caution... Logs are heavy What ever you choose - choose wisely, always think safety first and always be aware of tip overs.

Support your local musicians

Last edited:

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
http://www.hud-son.com/forestry-equipment/skidding-winches

These are what I was looking at to figure a way to skid logs with a DIY rig. Never came past concept for me.

As for tractors flipping backwards, having a tread that is designed to slip a little goes a long way in this situation. Allot of the flipped tractors happened with deep lug tires and the old metal wheels that were deep lugged as well. These tires and wheels would catch a rock or root and at the same time you caught a snag and backwards it went. Hydro-static transmissions help with safety as well due to the fact that letting off the pedal is faster than pushing in a clutch. Front weights, as much as you can put on (rate for the tractor). Also, you could get one of these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200591685_200591685

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Most tractor flipping occurs from inexperienced operators, or dumb experienced operators, attaching the chain above the center line of the rear wheels. A lot of 8N fords don't have a draw bar, so the top link attachment point looks like a good place to hook a chain. The rear wheels basically drive out from under the load. With a proper draw bar, the pull is below the center of the axle, changing the physics enough to greatly reduce the tendancy for the front end to rise. It will still come up, but not nearly as quick.

mayszs

New User
Zack
Most tractor flipping occurs from inexperienced operators, or dumb experienced operators, attaching the chain above the center line of the rear wheels. A lot of 8N fords don't have a draw bar, so the top link attachment point looks like a good place to hook a chain. The rear wheels basically drive out from under the load. With a proper draw bar, the pull is below the center of the axle, changing the physics enough to greatly reduce the tendancy for the front end to rise. It will still come up, but not nearly as quick.

Isn't is amazing how people hurt themselves?
The idea of maintaining a load under the centerline of an axel is second nature to me because otherwise you just turned your axel into a fulcrom. Of course this is the same reason hair driers have warning to not use while in the tub and chainsaws come with warnings to not cut branches you are sitting on closer to the tree than you are.

I've also been entertained in the past by people trying to lift max loads with FELs without adding any wight to the rear as ballast and being infuriated when the rear wheels come off the ground.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Yes, I neglected to take into account operator error, thanks adam. Additionally, rocking the tractor to dislodge a stuck pull or being stuck in the mud causes flip over quickly. Popping that clutch and jerking is bad news.

mayszs

New User
Zack
Yes, I neglected to take into account operator error, thanks adam. Additionally, rocking the tractor to dislodge a stuck pull or being stuck in the mud causes flip over quickly. Popping that clutch and jerking is bad news.

When I was 17 or 18 I found out the same to be true of a Trans Am with posi in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS