Looking for help building a cabinet for my chop saw / planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
I'm finally cleaning up my shop... again.. and need a better way to organize to keep it from getting so bad. Right now I've got my chop saw on one of those plastic shelving units with the planer and some other hand tools on the shelf below. It's not quite the right size, and I've been meaning to build a cabinet for it for quite some time now. Problem is, I don't have any experience building cabinets. I Would love if someone could come down and help me build it, nights / weekends / whenever time permits. I'm not looking for some fine crafted show piece, just a nice functional cabinet with some doors and maybe a drawer or two. I have a rough sketch of my idea... but it's totally up for reworking / redesigning / ignoring all together.

Anyone interested in this? I'm not sure what to offer - but do not expect this to be for free. If you are interested in hand drums... :) maybe we can make a deal, otherwise, let me know what you'll want for your time. I'm not in a hurry but would like to get it done before my shop gets trashed again.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You might want to consider a "flip top" unit with fold out wings. You could either make the pivot off set from the top, or make slip on tops for the wings. This way the tools could both use the wings for support.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If you want to learn about making cabinets, I recommend the book by Danny Proulx. It has cutlists, step by step instructions, and lots of useful photos. Not as useful as learning from someone in person of course.

One of my first cabinets was a fliptop stand like Bruce mentioned. I still have it, although it's on the replacement list for 2013. Or rather 2014, I have some other projects to do first. Hmmmmm, maybe 2015.

fliptop_wings.JPG

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Thanks for the replies guys. :) I've been doing some looking online. I'm not sure I want a flip top. I drew this up the other day. What do you think about the design? I'm thinking I can keep my measuring and marking devices in the small drawers up top.

How would you tackle this design and does it look stable enough for the wings? I'm thinking about using this as a first project in sketch-up as I've been playing around with it for a few days now and am getting more comfortable.

IMG_1704.jpg

jjy73

New User
Jeremiah
Thanks for the replies guys. :) I've been doing some looking online. I'm not sure I want a flip top. I drew this up the other day. What do you think about the design? I'm thinking I can keep my measuring and marking devices in the small drawers up top.

How would you tackle this design and does it look stable enough for the wings? I'm thinking about using this as a first project in sketch-up as I've been playing around with it for a few days now and am getting more comfortable.

View attachment 6747
Kevin,
I assume that the recess in the middle is so the saw table sits flush with the wings? My concern would be with constructability of the floating drawers? if you have the physical width for it, why not just make the cabinet the full width? It may be easier and definitely faster to build. I have attached what I built for mine. I live in Unionville and would be glad to lend ya a hand (send me a PM). I have attached a model of what I built so you can see it. View attachment miter station.pdf Cabinetmaking is simple with the right tools and design.

TBradley190

New User
Tim
If you can find it on line, American Woodworker #82 Oct 2000 featured exactly what you are looking for. The "Ultimate Tool Stand" works great for ms and planer.

Tim

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS