Looking for Christmas gift ideas

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Last year I made these little guys and gave them to family members as Christmas gifts. Pretty sure I got the idea from someone on NCWW. Anyway, I'm looking for something along the same lines for this year. What suggestions do you all have?

1667345806494.png

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim are you looking for projects on the lathe or just anything?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim are you looking for projects on the lathe or just anything?
Anything. I'm interested in a small gift that I can quickly turn out multiple copies -- maybe with some slight variations. For example, in the above some of the snowmen's hats have hatbands and some do not, they have different color scarfs, etc.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My wife has started a Christmas Tree farm. Or collection if you will...
I make one or two for her each year.

Small turned or board constructed boxes are always well received.

Cutting boards are a favorite, they get used, stained, worn and need to be replaced every five to ten years.

Carved spoons are a big hit.

Handmade chopsticks from exotic wood are a nice small quick gift.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i'm thinking of making some of these

1667394115623.png

looks like there's already a knock off on amazon with dimensions posted
1667394528261.png

for $ 20 i'll probably just order one

Last edited:

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I just started doing snowmen this year and the wife loves them. Because I'm still very new, I just used some scrap 4x4's for testing. I did a little variations though and drilled out for some arms and little toothpick noses. I didnt glue these in because of course they will break upon storage. I charred the hats pretty good and charred the body just to bring out the grain and then used a stain on them. Yours look cleaner for sure, but the wife liked the 'Rustic' look. So perhaps could try different variations of snowmen and have a whole village.
As for other ideas, I've seen trees or angels being done, but I've yet to try them.

Attachments

• Snowmen.jpg
    Snowmen.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
BobbyG has some very nice and interesting cutting boards. Look at his photo gallery.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since we have young(er) grandchildren, I usually make noise makers. This year, Kuzoos. Promises to be a 'hum'dinger of a present.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Jim what about some ornaments?
The kits with the ends are a great way to use up pen blank remnants.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108-074635_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-074635_Google.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 50

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors