looking for bowl turning blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSevier

New User
Bryan
I've been woodworking for many years now, but never really got into turning. For Christmas, Santa brought me a new Nova chuck for my lathe. So, I am looking for some pretty inexpensive turning blanks for bowls. Just for some practice to begin with.

Could someone help point me to a good source for these?

Thanks,

Bryan

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Of course, the cheapest route is to just go hunting for some free wood, like a neighbor that had a tree cut down, or contact a tree service. They usually will let you take whatever since they won't have to take it to the dump. You'll have to cut it up into bowl blanks yourself and seal it, but hey, it's free. Just costs labor.

Stay away from Woodcraft. Nice stuff, but very expensive. Not sure what Klingspors has available in store, but worth checking out. I got a few "economy" bowl blanks on sale at the Extravaganza in October for relatively cheap.

I buy blanks from www.turningblanks.net. They're based in SC so the shipping is super fast (Last order I did I received it the next day). I usually make my yarn bowls from the 6x4 blanks, and I like that they have a variety of wood species. I'd order enough to make the shipping worth it. They have quality standards so you're at least guaranteed a good piece instead of hunting for free ones.

Another source similar to above that I've ordered from is www.woodturningblanks4u.com. They're in Florida, and their shipping is a little more expensive, but they still have great stuff.

My advice if you're going to order is to get a variety and see which ones you like best. I order a lot of ambrosia maple since it's requested a lot. I got some Red Gum for the first time last order, and I'll be ordering some more of that soon. I also got some 8x4 Hackberry blanks that were on sale I haven't turned yet, but look promising.

BSevier

New User
Bryan
Looking at the turningblanks.net site - i see they have both green and KD blanks. can i ask for your recommendation on this?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
For learning purposes free is good but you do run the risk of fighting with a blank that has "issues".
For my own cheap self I thought that built character and taught me a thing or two along the way.
If you're not as accomplished at rationalizing your frustrations then by all means purchase some to get an idea of how fun it can be.

Wall lumber usually has a few pallet loads of ambrosia maple blanks at what to me looked like a fair price.
You can check out their website,http://www.walllumber.com/turn.asp

As for green vs dry
Green is a joy to turn but you need to rough turn the blank, dry it, then finish turn.
This is not a quick process though Ive seen others with tricks to speed the drying stage, I have no experience with that.
I put the rough turned blanks in a paper grocery sack along with shavings, write the wood species and date on the bag and check back in a few months.
Turning dry wood is not as quick but cuts out the drying step. Depending on species you may get a lot of practice keeping a your tools sharp.

Good luck, I was in your shoes a few years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed the journey. Folks here are full of good advice and if you can agree to a time there are a few who will give you priceless one-to-one hands-on tutoring.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Looking at the turningblanks.net site - i see they have both green and KD blanks. can i ask for your recommendation on this?

Might want to get some of both. :)

Kiln Dried (KD) you can turn and finish right away. No need to dry. But it is harder to turn.

Turning green wood, like mentioned above, is easier and more enjoyable. Just have to rough turn and then wait for it to dry before finishing.

So it’s a trade off. I’ve had some success with the microwave drying method for green wood to reduce wait time.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I've been woodworking for many years now, but never really got into turning. For Christmas, Santa brought me a new Nova chuck for my lathe. So, I am looking for some pretty inexpensive turning blanks for bowls. Just for some practice to begin with.

Could someone help point me to a good source for these?

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,
If youre just learning, the best option is to go buy some 8/4 KD wood and bandsaw rounds from it if you want immediately finished pieces or use firewood. I wouldnt start off with "nice" turning blanks just yet. As others have mentioned, green is the easiest and best, just turn you walls to 10% thickness of the diameter (10" diameter, make your walls an inch thick ) and let them dry slowly ( about 3-4 months usually). Green wood is a joy to turn, typically peeling off long , wet strands like peeling potatoes. But it is WET! and messy!. Do you have a good bowl gouge? Thats an entirely different conversation......

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
As Chris just added- you'll need (not want) a bowl gouge.
It'll be worth it. As an experiment and learning opportunity I turned over a dozen hickory bowls from roughing to finish using only that one tool.
They don't have to be expensive- I've put a lot of miles on the ones sold under the Hurricane brand name.
Get yourself one and learn to keep it sharp.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I was going to post about using 8/4 stock and Chris beat me to it. Literally just turned a shallow bowl last night with some 8/4 Sapele.

In addition to the getting a bowl gouge, I'd add to NEVER use your Roughing Gouge on a bowl. It's a *Spindle* Roughing Gouge. You can break the tool and get seriously injured.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
NCwood.biz is right here in NC. I've bought from him in the past and been satisfied every time. If you can't find what you need on his website, give him a call and explain what you need. Delivery is quick and quality is high. He usually has a lot of different species, mostly green.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Save your money for better turning tools. Go DIY

DIYbowlblank - 1.jpg

DIYbowlblank - 2.jpg

DIYbowlblank - 3.jpg

DIYbowlblank - 4.jpg

DIYbowlblank - 5.jpg

DIYbowlblank - 6.jpg

DIYbowlblank - 7.jpg

DIYbowlblank - 8.jpg

BSevier

New User
Bryan
I have some gouges that were given to me a few years ago. I understand that you do not want to use spindle gouges for bowls - I am just having trouble figuring out if what I have are spindle gouges or bowl gouges. From what I understand, it has to do with the depth of the flute, but If I dont have something to compare it to, how can I tell.

As far as keeping them sharp - that could be a problem - I have no grinder, havent had much of a use for one, or the space. For Christmas, I also received a set of carbide turning tools - am I wrong to think that these could be used in lieu of the gouges?

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I have some gouges that were given to me a few years ago. I understand that you do not want to use spindle gouges for bowls - I am just having trouble figuring out if what I have are spindle gouges or bowl gouges. From what I understand, it has to do with the depth of the flute, but If I dont have something to compare it to, how can I tell.

As far as keeping them sharp - that could be a problem - I have no grinder, havent had much of a use for one, or the space. For Christmas, I also received a set of carbide turning tools - am I wrong to think that these could be used in lieu of the gouges?

You are not wrong. You can turn bowls with only carbide. The trade-off is that since carbide tools are scraping and not cutting, you're going to spend a lot more time sanding to get a good finish, especially on the endgrain. Hard to replace the finishing cut of a nice sharp bowl gouge.

Unless you go all carbide, you will need a sharpening system soon. It's a necessity. Once your gouges start getting dull, not only is the cut bad, it can be dangerous as well. I have the grizzly tormek clone wet grinder. However, I'm going to be upgrading soon to a CBN setup

Yes, the difference between a spindle and bowl gouge is the flute depth. A bowl gouge will have a deep V or U shaped flute.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A heads-up on the difference between a spindle and bowl gouge. There's also the spindle roughing gouge that has a deep flute. When I first started getting turning tools, I got a set of buck brothers tools that included a spindle roughing gouge. I figured it was a bowl gouge. It wasn't and it let me know in short order it wasn't a bowl gouge. Most bowl gouges are 5/8" diameter. Others can be a little larger and some smaller diameter, but 5/8" outside diameter is pretty much standard.

One day you'll do a turning without having to buy something. Sounds like today isn't that day.

You'll need a grinder for shaping the turning tools to the grind you want. Use honing stones for sharpening that ground edge otherwise you'll end up grinding away your tools.

1 gouges - 1.jpg
Various sharpening stones for wood turning tools

1 gouges - 2.jpg

A couple of rather wide spindle roughing gouges.

Google the various grinds on bowl gouges. They all work to some degree or another. While there is no consensus on shape, there is a consensus on sharp. Its either razor sharp or it isn't.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
As far as keeping them sharp - that could be a problem - I have no grinder, haven't had much of a use for one, or the space.

I don't have a traditional grinder and so I sharpen my bowl gouge using a disk sander. I have a 6x48 belt/9" disk sander combo unit and have fashioned some shop made sharpening jigs on the basis of David Ellsworth's jig (I have at least one of his books). Works for me. While a grinder might be easier it is not the only way to sharpen; I used what I had. With the jig and disk sander I can be very consistent on angles and profile.

I doubt I will ever be into turning enough to justify a grinder and CBN wheels- although I recently took a trip to Pinehurst and picked up a Grizzly wet grinder (Thanks Willem!). I have yet to implement because I have not done any turning or sharpening since picking it up. I expect that will fulfill my needs.

Carbide tools are a great and easy way to learn some turning. They have a role, but I expect if you want to turn bowls, you will eventually get bowl gouge(s). I bought P&N brand from Lee Valley unhandled (free shipping there until Jan 7). I don't have a any others to compare so I can't speak much to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS