Looking for an accurate stud finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
With the new house and detached workshop nearing completion, I am looking for recommendations for a stud finder that really works. I will have lots of things to hang and install. If you have one that works please pass along brand and model number. Thanks in advance.

Red

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
Every time I use one I have to keep it at arms length... Otherwise, I interfere with its sensors. :gar-La;

seriously, I have this one, work well enough.

Zircon 1.5-in Scan Depth Pp3 (9v) Metal And Wood Stud Finder

Item # 639230 Model # 66227

042186665277.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just use a 3/4" dia. rare earth magnet I got from Northern. I put it in a layer of tape and start swinging it on the face of the wall. It is very powerful and when it gets over a nail or screw head it will stick.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I just use a 3/4" dia. rare earth magnet I got from Northern. I put it in a layer of tape and start swinging it on the face of the wall. It is very powerful and when it gets over a nail or screw head it will stick.

and I thought I was the only one to use rare earth magnets to find the studs. It works very well for me.

dan

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
I use this one also. I like that the leds show both edges of the stud at the same time. Resolution is a little coarse but if it finds both edges of the stud just aim for the center.

I use this one also, it's super handy to have the location and the width available at the same time.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
As others have said, rare earth magnets work better than anything. Something simple like the CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder won't find a wood stud... but almost instantly finds the nails and screws that fastened the drywall to it.

I have a good Zircon and a Stanley, but neither are ever used since I discovered this CH Hanson device with 90° rotating level, line hanger, and two magnets. No batteries required and it's cheaper, too!

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I use this one also. I like that the leds show both edges of the stud at the same time. Resolution is a little coarse but if it finds both edges of the stud just aim for the center.

I also use this one and like it for the reasons previously stated. I don't recall how much I paid for it, but it was less at Costco (I saw it at Costco yesterday but didn't notice the price) than at Amazon.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
picked up a zircom at HD for project few months ago, it has a center stud light that lights up when you are at the center of stud. Spent about $50 on it, well worth it. Not worth the headache of saving a few bucks when it comes to studfinders. Mine also finds electrical wires and has a deep depth scan mode. Sorry can't find the model right now.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Magnets (rare Earth is best) work well even with old houses with lath since lath is nailed to the studs. I never met a stud finder that worked as well as magnets.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member

My method as well. My magnet has a hole through the middle so instead of tape, I tied a loop of light string through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS