Looking for a source for quartersawn live oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckjohn

New User
John
Hey all,

I got 1 board of live oak a while ago out of a guy's back pasture pile... I finally got around to cleaning it up and like what I am seeing so far..... Unfortunately, I don't think I can get any more from him... It was mostly rotten and buggy... and he got a real day job and started just using it for firewood and mulch!

Looks kinda like the fleck pattern of Red oak but no pores! No pores ANYWHERE! This could speed up finishing exponentially! It's hard, but there is a whole lot to like about it!

Do any of you guys know a reputable source for Quartersawn Live Oak? And.. if you miller guys out there have some, shoot me a PM.

Thanks

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Live Oak doesn't generally produce good lumber as the trees are often squat and twisted. But Live Oak is in the White Oak group which will give you the ray fleck pattern you are looking for without the open pore structure of Red Oak. QSWO is generally preferred over QSRO for these reasons. Finding QSWO should not be difficult.

Dave:)

Tom Rioux

New User
Tom
Peter Tenet- Bee Tree Hardwoods
734 Bee Tree Rd, Swannanoa, NC.
Phone: 828-686-9009
I've found Peter to be an excellent source and very knowledgeable.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
John, a lot of live oak contains stresswood, and tends to exhibit a lot of movement during and after the drying process. For this reason, it is not commonly used in woodworking.

There may be some exceptions that I'm not aware of; but this is the norm.

Regards,

Scott

Skymaster

New User
Jack
USS Constitution :}:} Live oak hull planking, NOW that is a woodworking project
:rotflm::gar-La;:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors