looking for a sawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Looking for a sawyer who travels with a slab saw, and need to know pricing and largest log you can slab. I have an opportunity to get 10' and a 14' diameter oaks, and I think I will be able to bust them in half without too much of a problem, but need someone to cut them into thick slabs for me to handle on my mill.

Chris

allisnut

New User
Adam
Busting a 14' diameter oak log sounds like an impressive feat. Make sure you post pictures of the process!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Well I searched the site and step one was to go to the brown tab marked articles. Then, on the right side was a tab that said 'Where in NC' click that and you get a drop down menu that says saw ers. That is at least close to how to find it.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Chris, I'm not aware of any portable slabbers that can saw through a 10' log, much less a 14'. Most top out around 6' - 7' of width.

Your best option will be to blast it with black powder, as even chainsawing though would not be an option.

The drawback to the blasting option is that you're losing the best, QS portion of the log. When I mill a big one, I prefer to slab it into thirds, and then mill each third for the maximum QS grain.

Please keep up informed of how you progress on it.

Scott

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you saying 10-14' DIAMETER or do you mean to say 10-14' CIRCUMFERENCE?

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Scott, I knew 6' would be my limit. My goal was to pop in it half with powder. The it would be roughly 5' wide if stood up. Then I was going to look for a slabber who would start at the top and go 12/4 all the way down. some boards will be rift, and some quartersawn. I can cut off the pith on my mill, and leave a live edge on the other side. The 14'er will be a little different. The last two that were dropped were already taken out and the pitch was intact on the 12'.

Dennis, that's the diameter. Monsters. Straigh as an arrow up to 16'. I'm working on pricing for craning, hauling and slabbing to see if I'm going to tackle this or not, that's why I was looking for a slabber to see what they would charge, by hour or bf.

I have been looking at investing the the new woodmizer monster slab mill, this might be the ticket to get it if hauling and rigging doesn't bankrupt the porject.

Scott, what do you charge folks for something like this?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, I knew 6' would be my limit. My goal was to pop in it half with powder. The it would be roughly 5' wide if stood up. Then I was going to look for a slabber who would start at the top and go 12/4 all the way down. some boards will be rift, and some quartersawn. I can cut off the pith on my mill, and leave a live edge on the other side. The 14'er will be a little different. The last two that were dropped were already taken out and the pitch was intact on the 12'.

Dennis, that's the diameter. Monsters. Straigh as an arrow up to 16'. I'm working on pricing for craning, hauling and slabbing to see if I'm going to tackle this or not, that's why I was looking for a slabber to see what they would charge, by hour or bf.

I have been looking at investing the the new woodmizer monster slab mill, this might be the ticket to get it if hauling and rigging doesn't bankrupt the porject.

Scott, what do you charge folks for something like this?

Chris, I go by a straight hourly charge of $65.00 per man hour. One option that you may have is to split the halves into quarters, and then QS them by the normal method on a band mill.

Are these red or white oak logs? Any idea of the actual species? You're looking at a phenominal amount of weight per running foot of log

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I'll quarter most if it, but wanted to try and get one half in live edge slabs. The 14' long will be about 109k lbs, which we'll have to cut in half for weight. The 10' is going to be about 38k. I will most likely not take the 14' as logistics with DOT and bridges near me will cost way to much

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
as for the species, no I'm waiting to get my rough costs before even making the trip to look at the trees, no sense in it if it's going to cost a fortune

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'll quarter most if it, but wanted to try and get one half in live edge slabs. The 14' long will be about 109k lbs, which we'll have to cut in half for weight. The 10' is going to be about 38k. I will most likely not take the 14' as logistics with DOT and bridges near me will cost way to much

It sounds like you've done your homework - sure looks like a fun project!

Re the 14 footer, any chance of splitting it into quarters on site before transport? That would solve the over height/width problems.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
that will bring in another challenge with the city, but it's not out of hte question. I'm waiting on rigging costs to get an idea if it will be worth it. I'm hopeing so, I haven't seen a oak in this area that size, 7' was the max

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
that will bring in another challenge with the city, but it's not out of hte question. I'm waiting on rigging costs to get an idea if it will be worth it. I'm hopeing so, I haven't seen a oak in this area that size, 7' was the max

I've looked at a few red oaks on the Duke University Campus that were in that range, but most of them are hollow in the middle and branch out 10' or so above the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS