Looking for a flag case design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
A good friend passed away last week and I have the honor of making a flag case. I have made a few of them before but I was never satisfied with the end result, probably because I just used my normal technique of just grabbing some wood and building
this time I would like to use a proven design.
Does snybody have one they can share??

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A good friend passed away last week and I have the honor of making a flag case. I have made a few of them before but I was never satisfied with the end result, probably because I just used my normal technique of just grabbing some wood and building
this time I would like to use a proven design.
Does snybody have one they can share??

Sorry for your loss - I think there was a post about flag cases a little while ago - maybe a search here...

second - I think Dave Richards posed one - so my guess is there is one or a bunch in the sketch-up warehouse???

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Hi Phil,

My condolences.

Hank has a good memory. I did a model of a very simple flag case a while back. There's not much to it and I didn't make a plan of it but maybe it'll give you some ideas. I'd probably add some edge profiling to it to dress it up. Maybe put it on a thicker base with room for a brass plaque. You could also use the base as the top of a shadow box for medals, the casings from the salute, or other items.

Here's the one I did.

I would wait until you can get the folded flag in hand to measure it.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear that Phil. Here is one I did for my Uncle a few yrs back Photo001.jpg

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I'll have to take a look at some of these as I need to make one for my dad's flag. Was thinking of making it of some pine or poplar he had sawed from our farm several years ago and never used as he was planning. I need to see what kind of shape it's in the next time I'm there though and see if any of it is still usable.

B.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Wood magazine has plans for flag cases. I'm sure I have that issue, just need to locate it. Another forum has a sticky on making flag cases, I think it's Woodnet.net. Wood had a "top Tip" on making a jig to hold pieces to cut the 45's also.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
My condolences, Phil. I've had to make a few and here are some pics of some I made other than the usual triangle.

Flag_Case.JPG

Flag_case_001.JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those really are nice Joe (I especially like the (walnut?) one)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Ther walnut one's (3) were very large for this sort of item, because the side windows were to hold medals, badges etc. The oak one had a walnut copy as well.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Here is one a did a few years ago. IT was designed so they could put the flag in one half and other medals or memorabilia in the other half. Added the felt to the back, which was very easy.
boxsmall.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors