Looking for a custom Drawer Storage for shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
So I don't know how to build cabinets and although I'd love to learn, I need a solution for my shop and dont have time or space to start this type of project. I'd love to get someone local to build this for me. I'm looking for something similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iEwtK9NqMU

Looking for inexpensive, MDF / Plywood construction as this will be in the shop. I plan on putting my miter saw on top. I'm looking for something that is 6' long 34" tall and 24" deep. I want the middle to have two doors that open to two shelves... Probably need to see a drawing. Anyhow, I'd like to get something like this made up asap to get control back over my shop. If you are interested please send a PM or email me at kevin@rhtyhmhousedrums.com... I'm not sure what budget I have, but just an estimate for price or price range would be great. I'll work on drawing what I'm picturing... ok, just drew it up real quick. Thanks guys. BTW I'm in Matthews, but I have a trailer and can pick up.

drawers.gif

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I would check both Craigslist for someone giving away kitchen cabinets or go to either the local building salvage store or Big box home store and check out unfinished kitchen cabinets. Nothing wrong with your idea, but be prepared for sticker shock and how long it may take to get delivered.

Prefab kitchen cabinets are sturdy and with a top of 3/4 (or thicker) plywood and a sacrificial hardboard or metal sheet overlay, good for years. Full extension drawers that will hold a lot of weight are not cheap.

And because we all like photos.

Here is a Kitchen Island I built out of Prefabs. About 13 years of constant use.

The following are a tool storage tower and a 4 drawer tool box. Both were Rip n Run projects from recycled lumber. Drawers slide on oversize bottoms that track in grooves. Work just fine and took a long day to do each one.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Wouldn't surprise me if that cabinet in the video has $500-600 in material and hardware in it. Would you pay someone $1500 to replicate it?

Whatever you do, my experience says to not go cheap on the drawer glides and be suspect of their load rating. Nothing worse than marginal drawer glides.

Building 'inexpensive' to me means slap one together out of common lumber using 'construction techniques' rather than 'cabinet making techniques' and hardwoods.

For me, face frame means more complexity, and tighter tolerances, which equates to more construction time, vs false drawer fronts that can be slapped on as described in the video.

Considering just the drawer hardware is going to be ar least a couple hundred dollars, is your budget $500, $1000, $1500, or?

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Thanks for the reply guys. I threw up a search on CL and found an office suite of cabinets and overheads for 500. It's in decent shape so I picked it up. Not ideal, but quick and way better than the "nothing" I was sporting before. I'm taking a few inches off the bottom as they all stood 36" tall and my table saw is 34" tall. That way it'll at least be level to the saw in case I have some larger panels (small shop). But I'm stoked for the 500. Lots of storage space and some overheads which I wasn't even thinking of. I've got a really nice corner cabinet and a sectional piece that goes next to it that is too much for my shop, I don't have free corners because of my duct work. If anyone is interested, I can get some photos.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice score. Re-using salvage materials was the way to go unless you wanted to really spend some money.

Congrats on the surplus of good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS