Looking for a 5C

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I've been looking around for a 5C to finish out my set of corrugated planes but I've been struggling to find any that aren't a) missing important parts, b) damaged in important ways or c) already restored and way too expensive.

I've enjoyed refurbishing my others, so I'm not afraid of putting in the work to bring something back to life. Does anyone have one that they're willing to part with?

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check Sawmill Creek. However, the ones there are usually fully tuned.

Last edited:

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Check Sawmill Creek. However, the one's there are usually fully tuned.
Thanks, Gene. Yep, I saw some there that were pretty much like you described. I'll keep my eyes open there, but the other factor is my greater trust in members here. I don't have the same kind of relationships there so it's tough to pull the trigger and trust that I'm getting what's advertised.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I would recommend that you check with Jim Bode Tools -- right now, he has several 5C's available (just use his Search box at the top of the page). Prices will vary of course.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I would recommend that you check with Jim Bode Tools -- right now, he has several 5C's available (just use his Search box at the top of the page). Prices will vary of course.
Thanks, I have looked through his offerings and I just don't consider the prices reasonable. I'm looking for users, not collecting for the sake of it. He certainly does have nice stuff that I'd love to have, though.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just out of curiosity, is this just to finish a collection, or do you find the "c" advantageous? I usually grab my 4c out of habit, but don't really see any difference with my 4. I find the series more important. I seem to favor type 16 for user.

I do not think the "local" MWTCA requires membership to enter and buy. Only to sell.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Just out of curiosity, is this just to finish a collection, or do you find the "c" advantageous? I usually grab my 4c out of habit, but don't really see any difference with my 4. I find the series more important. I seem to favor type 16 for user.

I do not think the "local" MWTCA requires membership to enter and buy. Only to sell.
It's not to finish a collection, really. I haven't been "collecting" a consistent set (same type, etc), just figuring out what I like and getting more of that general variety. I've had a few different planes rotate in and out of the set of actual users. In doing that, I found that I like the corrugated planes.

For most tasks I think they perform pretty much identically to the flat sole variety, but for some materials I think the reduced contact patch is an advantage. I'm fortunate to have several thousand board feet of heart pine that came out of an old tenant farmer house on my family's farm in Wayne County, enough to last the rest of my life probably. It's sometimes pitchy and the C planes seem to work a bit better in the material. I figure that it makes sense to have a set of planes that works well for material that has sentimental value to me and that I'll be working with for a long time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS