Look what I got! (Harvey Bandsaw)

Bill J

Bill
User
Following several good discussions on this forum about bandsaws, I was checking out the Harvey website and discovered that they were having a flash sale in their 14" Ambassador 3HP BS. They do this in a kind of a weird way where only 3 are on sale but they were 27% off. So I bought one! I just installed it. That was an adventure in and of itself because my driveway is very steep, there is a 1-3" lip going into my garage and you have to either pass through a carpeted area or outside down a step to get to the shop, but that's a story for another time.
So now that it's set up, I need to refine the cut. The first test cut is in the attached picture and is a lot rougher than I had hoped for. I want to use this for resawing as well as some curve cutting. I know that I won't get a table saw smooth cut but I was hoping for better than this. I am using the blade that came with it. There are no specifications other than it is a 3/4" blade but it appears to to 3 tpi. The guides are not "dollar bill" close to the blade so I can tighten them up a bit.
Do I need a better blade?
Do I need to lower my expectations?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2021-06-15 09.37.22.jpg
    2021-06-15 09.37.22.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 228
  • 2021-06-15 09.37.33.jpg
    2021-06-15 09.37.33.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 222

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I agree with Mike for sure, but are you sure that you have the blade tension high enough? It is not unusual for the "tnesion scale " to be somewhat unreliable on a BS.

Bill J

Bill
User
I agree with Mike for sure, but are you sure that you have the blade tension high enough? It is not unusual for the "tnesion scale " to be somewhat unreliable on a BS.
The tension is at the top of the scale. I am not sure that I can go much higher but I'll try. They shipped it with the tension on so it may have stretched too. It sounds like it need a new blade. The Wood slicer from Highland has gotten good reviews on this forum. Are there other suggestions?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
That is a BS thing........... :p ........ nice saw, yeah get a better blade and run it a bit then do the final tweaking. Congrats !

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations. Did it take a while to actually get it. I know lost table saws are +60days out.

Bill J

Bill
User
Congratulations. Did it take a while to actually get it. I know lost table saws are +60days out.
Not too bad - I ordered it May 26 and it arrived in Morrisville last week. It did have a brief vacation as lost freight in Atlanta...

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Definitely start w/ a new blade, especially if you plan on resawing much. My personal favorite is the 'Wood Slicer' from Highland Hdwr, but there are a number of good blades out there. I'm sure others on here will be happy to share their experiences.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The Wood Slicer from Highland is available from other sources, at a reduced price. Call Union Saw and ask what they recommend. They bought out Woodcraft Bands recently.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
a 3/4" blade is a bit much for a 14" saw. You might have better luck with a 1/2"

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I use blades from sawblades.com. A re-saw blade will not give a smooth cut. Can't tell much about the OEM blade as I messed up and while adjusting, let the blade touch a guide. A kiss is all it takes. Your picture looks fine to me.

If I had a ton of re-saw to do, I would buy one of the expensive carbide tipped blades.

I have no problem with a 3/4 blade. Don't go by the tension scale, go by the finger test. I don't set my guides as tight as some suggest. If everything is running true, they don't do anything.

I think I am going to make an extension or handle for the lower guide depth knob. Kind of tight for my hand. I may make a knob or cam for the upper blade guard as it is the only thing that needs a tool to change bands. Anyway, I love mine and use it almost more than the TS now.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Oh yea, finer tooth bands cut smoother. I think my 1/4 is 9. You can go finer. Cut out some armrests for a chair I was re-doing in 3/8 birch ply with the 3/8 band. Cut half the line and clean up on disk sander.

Bill J

Bill
User
Oh yea, finer tooth bands cut smoother. I think my 1/4 is 9. You can go finer. Cut out some armrests for a chair I was re-doing in 3/8 birch ply with the 3/8 band. Cut half the line and clean up on disk sander.
Thanks - where did you get the 9tpi blade? I only see 6 tpi on Highland.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS